Brand new to brewing, I have some newbie questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brian_GFH

Reaction score
Hello everybody! I have a few questions about my first brew I will begin this week.

First off I purchased the Cooper's Home Brew Kit, after reading it was good for beginners.

After a little bit of research, I went ahead and purchased a 3lb bag of "Pilsen Light Dry Malt Extract" from my local microbrewery.

I read to use the DME instead of the sugar that comes with the kit.

My first question is how much of the DME do I use for this 23 liter brew? And by using this instead, does this effect what temp or duration of the fermenting?

Second question is, in the instructions it states to ferment it for one week in the carboy, but that seems too soon, I was planning two weeks instead. Is this a good idea?

Last question is, how long should I keep the bottles unopened afetr bottling, and at what temp?

Thank you guys in advance for your help?

My first question is how much of the DME do I use for this 23 liter brew? And by using this instead, does this effect what temp or duration of the fermenting? What does the recipe call for? The amount can vary but it wont affect your ferm temp/time.

Second question is, in the instructions it states to ferment it for one week in the carboy, but that seems too soon, I was planning two weeks instead. Is this a good idea? A good rule of thumb is 4 weeks. But the only way to know for sure is to use a hydrometer if you have one.

Last question is, how long should I keep the bottles unopened afetr bottling, and at what temp? 3 weeks minimum at 70º. Then fridge for ~2 weeks. Will get better the longer you wait.

If you go to the beginner page and read the stickies at the top you will find all this info and much much more. Please do yourself a favor before you brew and read thru them. You will be glad you did. There are so many tips and advice that these guys have put so much effort and time into. Its better to go back and read it then rehash it all out. Good luck and happy brewing.

You can use the whole bag of DME. Personally I would use 2 lbs of DME and a pound of sugar. Using some sugar will help make sure your final gravity doesn't finish too high. Don't know that this makes a difference in length of fermentation. Just keep it under 68 and leave it for several weeks. It'll be fine.

Coopers instructions are written for a global market. I'm sure if the product was only distributed in the US they would differ. So ignore the one week fermentation, 70+ degree fermentation and so on.

You can make the coopers kit the exact way it says and come out with beer. But read the stickies.They won't get all over your keyboard and make life heck. Sticky is only a term and does in no way affect your computer. Ok enough with sarcasm. Make the coopers. Read save the dme.and make another brew.

using sugar in a brew isn't as big of a deal as you might think. i've used up to 3 pounds (1.36 kg) of sugar in a brew with no bad tastes. if your going to use pilsner malt in your brew you need to boil the malt for 90 minutes minimum to remove the DMS.

kits always try to rush you to the bottle. good call on letting it sit longer. the typical recommended time in the primary is 3 weeks. for bottling its another minimum of 3 weeks in the mid 70s F (20s C)

You can use the whole bag of DME. Personally I would use 2 lbs of DME and a pound of sugar. Using some sugar will help make sure your final gravity doesn't finish too high. Don't know that this makes a difference in length of fermentation. Just keep it under 68 and leave it for several weeks. It'll be fine.

Coopers instructions are written for a global market. I'm sure if the product was only distributed in the US they would differ. So ignore the one week fermentation, 70+ degree fermentation and so on.

Are we talking regualr sugar or the sugar packet that comes with the kit?

Use the kit as you got it. And use it as a base line experiment. Then read and learn more and try more! you will be better off than trying to fix what some consider lacking.

if your going to use pilsner malt in your brew you need to boil the malt for 90 minutes minimum to remove the DMS.

This isn't applicable to extract. It's already been boiled during the manufacturing process.

Are we talking regualr sugar or the sugar packet that comes with the kit?

Either one. A lot of people feel more comfortable using corn sugar/dextrose for brewing. I prefer to use common table sugar.

I dont believe you need to leave the bottles unopened for any length of time other than to let whatever foam develops during the bottling process dissipate and to make sure the bottles are filled to the correct level. On that note, three weeks seems to be the consensus on the minimum length of time to wait after bottling for it to properly carb up. Also it might be a good idea to practice with your caps/capper in order to get a feel for how it works without putting precious beer on the line while you learn.

Back