Storing Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevenjh

Reaction score
Could by my first beginners mistake here...

Purchased ingredients last week and plan to brew this morning. Realized last night that the yeast was left in the box outside my refrigerator. It was still in my basemant, so a cold, dry place...but im wondering if I already destroyed the yeast and how to best store it in the future

Thanks!

I usually keep my smack packs in the fridge and pull them out the night before to warm to room temp. Smack it when I start brewing and it's good to go when I'm ready.

As far as yours is concerned if the temps didn't get really high it should be fine, but I would make a starter just to make sure. I would smack it and give it a few hours to see if it plumps up. If not, then run to your LHBS and pick up another pack.

dry or liquid? and when do you plan to brew? how cold is your basement?

Liquid yeast should be stored in your fridge for any extended time (more than 24 hours)... It won't be destroyed being out, but the longer it is unrefridgerated, the more degraded it gets until at some point it is effectivly destroyed.

Dry yeast is more forgiving, but still should be refridgerated....

Dry yeast purchased last Saturday, plan to brew today...stored in the basement, so I'm not sure what the temperature is but relatively cool.

Latest posts

Back