The [Horribly Unpopular] Soccer Thread

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It would matter who needs it's more. If they played tomorrow, man city last year I rooted for Norwich and we beat man city last game of the year that moved us up like 4 or 5 spots and we got a lot more money.

I really don't know how you can root for two teams in the same division.

I think it requires some kind of brain surgery. I like to think that I am flexible on most things. Religion, I am pretty much set on my conclusions, but am always happy to listen to alternative views. Politics, the same way.......Footy? I am a total fascist. There is only one team, one way of supporting, one correct match result.

I love to see a good game as a neutral, but when my team is playing? There can be only one, and they will live forever. (Cue that Queen Highlander song thingy)

I love to see a good game as a neutral, but when my team is playing? There can be only one, and they will live forever. (Cue that Queen Highlander song thingy)

Exactly. Whenever my team is playing the ultimate goal is to crush the other team, see them driven before us, and to hear the lamentation of their fans.

It would matter who needs it's more. If they played tomorrow, man city last year I rooted for Norwich and we beat man city last game of the year that moved us up like 4 or 5 spots and we got a lot more money.

I note you only replaced one team with "we", so I think that says enough about where your real fandom lies. :)

Goal fest at New York.

The fire get their first win of the season 5-4. Shipp with a hat trick for the fire and Wright-Phillips with a hat trick for the red bulls.

Double game weeks for 9 of my fantasy players. I have Wright-Phillips and fiancee has Shipp. Woo!

Well, My lot (Southampton) finished the season as "The best of the rest" That is a very, very good end to the season for me. It's going to be a very long summer hoping that we can hold on to our key players who are in a glaring transfer spotlight.........Crap! I hate the closed season with a passion. :(

Ramsey with a cracker to end the PL season...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/Y_ENlqEvsZ4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bittersweet day I guess when one wins the title and one gets relegated.

US announced 30 man.

Glad Timmy made it, hope he's fit for the cup cause I'd rather have him and Fabian than Beasley. Glad Green made it. Wish Shea got a shot. Also shocked Eddie didn't make it.

I'm also surprised about Shea and johnson. I guess Shea should have stayed put in Dallas. Johnson was in great form in SEA.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Brek Shea maybe should have stayed in Dallas. Brek Shea definitely shouldn't have been playing around with pigs heads and flipping off supporters. Without putting any judgement in how much weight a manager should put in things like that, one of the rules of success as a borderline player is don't give the manager any excuses to leave you off. And all that said, I didn't really expect him, at least not in the final 23, once it became apparent that Green was a likely inclusion.

I guess I'm a little surprised about Johnson not making the 30, but think he likely would have been a cut to get to 23 anyways, at least based on current form and klinsi's formational preferences.

I think the best news in the prelim roster is that Fabian is actually listed as a defender. :)

And the results for the few of us playing fantasy footie

1HateThatShed FCMatthew Lakota64 2,292
2BrewKnurdsNathan Heilman422,264
3DILLIGAF FCPaul Nelson592,190
4Bloody YanksGordon Alanko492,145
5SpendmorethanArsenalDaniel Monroe 38 2,117
6Brewster's millionsCatfish Hunter29 1,798
7Ohio SaintsTrevor Clark671,758
8Rise&Fall of the EPLDaniel Brese32 1,624

Sent from tropical Finland

And the results for the few of us playing fantasy footie

1HateThatShed FCMatthew Lakota64 2,292
2BrewKnurdsNathan Heilman422,264
3DILLIGAF FCPaul Nelson592,190
4Bloody YanksGordon Alanko492,145
5SpendmorethanArsenalDaniel Monroe 38 2,117
6Brewster's millionsCatfish Hunter29 1,798
7Ohio SaintsTrevor Clark671,758
8Rise&Fall of the EPLDaniel Brese32 1,624

Sent from tropical Finland

I liked my chances going into the final game. I think i was only 6 or 8 points back and was happy with my squad… but then mostly laid an egg. Oh well. :)

Counting down the days until the FA Cup Finals this Saturday! Going to head to the local soccer pub http://theglobepub.net/ an hour or so early with the family, grab a table and have a proper English breakfast, enjoy some breakfast stout, and cheer on the Gunners. First time they've played for a trophy in quite a while.

http://www.ussoccer.com/stories/2014/05/12/12/01/140512-ussoccer-mls-tv-deal

Great deal for MLS. Assuming I'm reading it right. They get 68 televised games between ESPN and Fox Sports. Plus playoffs of course.
Woo! Not only that but each network has it's own game of the week time slot. And several articles indicate espn, fox, and Univision will be putting a lot more emphasis on the domestic game.

US announced 30 man.

Glad Timmy made it, hope he's fit for the cup cause I'd rather have him and Fabian than Beasley. Glad Green made it. Wish Shea got a shot. Also shocked Eddie didn't make it.
Ooooh I think I'd much rather have DMB over Timmy. IMO a good choice for starting LB.

Cool that Green made it but I don't think he should make the 23 unless his send-off series performance is likened to the Second Coming. Wondo has been stellar for the Yanks. His cleverness makes for a great power sub.

Counting down the days until the FA Cup Finals this Saturday! Going to head to the local soccer pub http://theglobepub.net/ an hour or so early with the family, grab a table and have a proper English breakfast, enjoy some breakfast stout, and cheer on the Gunners. First time they've played for a trophy in quite a while.

I guess I will see you there!!

I'm going solo and a friend is TBD at the moment. Was planning on getting there early for the full english as well.

Had a butcher's at their menu. Black pudding!!! I are jealous!!! Dunno what hash browns are doing on there, but what the hell.....I are still jealous! Have a GREAT time!!:rockin:

Woo! Not only that but each network has it's own game of the week time slot. And several articles indicate espn, fox, and Univision will be putting a lot more emphasis on the domestic game.

I hope so, the MLS coverage is pretty weak compared to what the rest of the domestic sports get. Case in point, I ended up having to watch the Fire season opener vs. Chivas on Univision in Spanish because the local channel that normally carries the games didn't have it.

I hope so, the MLS coverage is pretty weak compared to what the rest of the domestic sports get. Case in point, I ended up having to watch the Fire season opener vs. Chivas on Univision in Spanish because the local channel that normally carries the games didn't have it.

With the new deal, uni will have a SAP option to watch in English

Busy news week.

Orlando revealed their crest. Classy and simple. I like it.

Ah... Just finding this thread..

Big Houston Dynamo fan.... team is just average this year.... until they get one unified owner willing to spend, it is always going to have to be a hard working team.... hate that AEG still owns half the team... they spend so much on LA Galaxy and nothing on Houston.

I've been following Everton for many years now... so happy how things have worked out with Roberto as the manager.

Can't wait for the World Cup... I'm a teacher so I have the summer off.. I'll watch parts of almost every game... and probably 75% of the full matches!

Ooooh I think I'd much rather have DMB over Timmy. IMO a good choice for starting LB.

Cool that Green made it but I don't think he should make the 23 unless his send-off series performance is likened to the Second Coming. Wondo has been stellar for the Yanks. His cleverness makes for a great power sub.

I hope he makes the final 23. I wouldn't use him often but we need someone for speed.

Aside from Green, unless Landycakes isn't starting, I don't see someone who can stretch a defense out wide.

Assuming our starting XI is Howard, Johnson, Besler, Beasley, Bradley, Jones, Donovan, Dempsey, Zusi, Jozy. We carry Johannson and Wondow to strike. Guzan and Rimando for GK, Cameron, Goodson as locks for CB, Beckerman and Mix for CDM, Bedoya for mid. that leaves your final 3 spots. Evans I think gets it unless Chandler upsets him, some thing Davis goes, but I'd much rather have Green for his speed. Then I think that Parkhurst maybe wins the last.

I hope he makes the final 23. I wouldn't use him often but we need someone for speed.

I think the fact that Shea isn't in camp, and Klinsmann has shown time and time again that he likes being able to sub Shea in as a fast winger, I think Klinsmann agrees with you.

Aside from Green, unless Landycakes isn't starting, I don't see someone who can stretch a defense out wide.

It will be interesting to see what he does with Donovan. If you take him at his word that he considers Donovan a forward, then he has to be on the bench, right? If klinsmann goes with his seemingly preferred 4-2-3-1, altidore pretty much has to be there as the best target striker in the bunch (even though he's not at his best as a pure target striker, IMO). If he goes 4-4-2, Dempsey seems the lock for one of the striker roles, so unless he envisioned Donovan and Dempsey as the two, its hard to see how Donovan makes teh starting lineup as a forward. Unless you consider the 4-2-3-1 more of a 4-3-3 and then you have three forwards, nominally.

Assuming our starting XI is Howard, Johnson, Besler, Beasley, Bradley, Jones, Donovan, Dempsey, Zusi, Jozy. We carry Johannson and Wondow to strike. Guzan and Rimando for GK, Cameron, Goodson as locks for CB, Beckerman and Mix for CDM, Bedoya for mid. that leaves your final 3 spots. Evans I think gets it unless Chandler upsets him, some thing Davis goes, but I'd much rather have Green for his speed. Then I think that Parkhurst maybe wins the last.

I mean, I know Gonzales has been sketchy lately, but you're going to name a starting XI with only ten people to avoid him? ;)

The Wondo vs Boyd thing will be an interesting decision, IMO. Wondo brings something different, Boyd is your best option to replicate the target striker in a 4-2-3-1 if Altidore gets hurt.

My hope is that Chandler plays well enough for it to be Parkhurst, Green, Chandler for the final 3. I think Chandler playing well is a significant upgrade (at least at fullback) over Evans.

I think it requires some kind of brain surgery. I like to think that I am flexible on most things. Religion, I am pretty much set on my conclusions, but am always happy to listen to alternative views. Politics, the same way.......Footy? I am a total fascist. There is only one team, one way of supporting, one correct match result.

Exactly. Whenever my team is playing the ultimate goal is to crush the other team, see them driven before us, and to hear the lamentation of their fans.

Having said all that, I do have a potential problem in the WC if both England and USA manage to do better than expected. Of course, I still have an hierarchy due to the amount of years served as an England supporter, but it could still get messy. I would certainly have to drop the notion of annihilation and humiliation. If England and USA meet in the WC, it would feel like meeting myself in a dark alley and trying to mug myself. :cross:

Having said all that, I do have a potential problem in the WC if both England and USA manage to do better than expected. Of course, I still have an hierarchy due to the amount of years served as an England supporter, but it could still get messy. I would certainly have to drop the notion of annihilation and humiliation. If England and USA meet in the WC, it would feel like meeting myself in a dark alley and trying to mug myself. :cross:

I'm sort of in the same boat. I know more about the players selected for the England squad than I do about the players selected for my own countries team. :confused:

There's probably 3 or 4 players in the US 30 man squad that I don't even know what club they play for (for example, just had to look up Michael Parkhurst), but I can name the youth academy that most of the England squad came through.... I guess I am a "Euro Snob", but that's just where it began for me.

USA all the way for me. In fact I find myself actively rooting against England just so I can see my English friends miserable. To be fair it's probably because of all the stick I get from them regarding USA footy.

USA all the way for me. In fact I find myself actively rooting against England just so I can see my English friends miserable. To be fair it's probably because of all the stick I get from them regarding USA footy.

I enjoy going to watch the England games at places where my English friends watch... they are always waiting for that one moment of failure... it is very interesting to watch..

I root for England, outside of them playing the USA.

i find it ridiculous for anyone outside of the US to argue negatively against US soccer as it's doing the best with what we have available and gaining some steam. the majority of our star athletes have focused their talents with the money sports here, otherwise i bet we'd have some nasty players available with a lot more speed.. just a thought..

anyways what are the odds that we'll actually make it out of the group stage at the world cup? lol

Yes.. if just the kids who mainly play football and baseball focused on soccer.. it doesn't guarantee success.... but it would be a much larger pool of players to choose from AND mainly, it would guarantee stronger competition at the youth ages for training and games.

The USA isn't a bad soccer nation... just not elite....yet.

Just remember... the best nations don't really have room to improve... the USA is only going to get better and better over the next few decades.

Yes.. if just the kids who mainly play football and baseball focused on soccer...

I always sort of thought that Lebron James, with his size & athleticism, would be the most dominant striker in the world. Imagine, Didier Drogba in his prime, times 2.

I always sort of thought that Lebron James, with his size & athleticism, would be the most dominant striker in the world. Imagine, Didier Drogba in his prime, times 2.

Imagine the combination of pure speed, quickness and strength of Barry Sanders as a striker... imagine all he did as a youth was train for soccer...

It blows my mind how good of a soccer player he might have been..

I don't think LeBron is a good example, because lots of big top talents still play basketball from Europe. But imagine if we had say Mike Vick. I know Vick is a scumbag, blah blah blah. But he's the best running athlete I've ever witnessed. Imagine if Messi agility and Ronaldo size had a baby who was faster than Bale/Valencia/Walcott, whoever you think is the fastest player.

Baseball aside from a handful of players doesn't have too many top Americans, Jason Heyward, Bryce Harper, and Mike Trout being a few exceptions.

I mean LeBron playing soccer would be insane. On that note though too, imagine if Usain Bolt played soccer. Would be sick.

I think the fact that Shea isn't in camp, and Klinsmann has shown time and time again that he likes being able to sub Shea in as a fast winger, I think Klinsmann agrees with you.

I hope so. I like speed off the bench. We had nothing last WC aside whoever that terrible striker was.

It will be interesting to see what he does with Donovan. If you take him at his word that he considers Donovan a forward, then he has to be on the bench, right? If klinsmann goes with his seemingly preferred 4-2-3-1, altidore pretty much has to be there as the best target striker in the bunch (even though he's not at his best as a pure target striker, IMO). If he goes 4-4-2, Dempsey seems the lock for one of the striker roles, so unless he envisioned Donovan and Dempsey as the two, its hard to see how Donovan makes teh starting lineup as a forward. Unless you consider the 4-2-3-1 more of a 4-3-3 and then you have three forwards, nominally.

I think Klinsmann considers one of the right or left mids as being a foward options. He's used Donovan, Eddie, and Hercules there. Rarely has he not had someone he's listed as a forward play that position.

Jurgen likes offense. So I think if Landycakes finds some form, he will start, but his form has been piss He should have went to play in Europe in the offseaosn. I think this will be his last WC.

I mean, I know Gonzales has been sketchy lately, but you're going to name a starting XI with only ten people to avoid him? ;)

The Wondo vs Boyd thing will be an interesting decision, IMO. Wondo brings something different, Boyd is your best option to replicate the target striker in a 4-2-3-1 if Altidore gets hurt.

My hope is that Chandler plays well enough for it to be Parkhurst, Green, Chandler for the final 3. I think Chandler playing well is a significant upgrade (at least at fullback) over Evans.

Gonzo I forgot. Nice catch!

Boyd has been i great form scoring a goal every other game. But Wondo's national team form is sick. I think if we go Jozy, Johannson, and Wondo the strength is they're all different in skillset.

Personally Id kind of like us to do something different. This would be my setup.

--------------------------Howard-----------------
Johnson--------Besler-----------Gonzalez ----------------Beasley
-------------------------Cameron-_____---------
-----------------------------------------------------
---------Bradley-------------------Zusi--------------
-------------------------Dempsey----------------
---------Jozy----------------Johansson---

Basically have 5 defenders, 3 attackers and 2 creatives.

Back