pump theory

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rhltechie

Reaction score
Hi All,

I am gathering my plans about building my single tier rig. I have tons of questions, but i wanted to start simple. ha. :confused: I already have a sketch of the frame taken care of thanks to shawn and diatonic :rockin: Now I am just kind of scratching my head about 1 pump systems and 2 pump systems. could someone give me a brief overvue of both? kind of how they flow...pretty much literally. If it helps any, I will be batch sparging when I get to that point. I'm trying to wrap my head around what the pumps do in a single and double.

thanks!!

M

Batch sparging requires moving one liquid at a time. Fly sparging requires moving two liquids at the same time (wort and water). Simple as that.

hmmm....i feel kinda stupid when you put it like that... lol :drunk:

I think I got most of my questions answered by watching your part 1 and 2 of AG brewing. I dint think I was confused about the pump as much as the process from beginning to end an how the pump played a part. I was also confused about vorlaufing and how the pump achieved that but I realized you were recirculating instead. Videos were great help. Thanks

Ah, I see. What my pump does for me is what I would have previously achieved by draining into a bucket and pouring. Strike water to mash tun, vorlauf (mash to mash), runnings to kettle. Sparge to MLT. Vorlauf. Runnings to Kettle. Sparge again..

Ah, I see. What my pump does for me is what I would have previously achieved by draining into a bucket and pouring. Strike water to mash tun, vorlauf (mash to mash), runnings to kettle. Sparge to MLT. Vorlauf. Runnings to Kettle. Sparge again..

about your MLT Bobby, do you have pics somewhere of the inside? What is on the inside of the top coupler? i assume you dont want splashing and such.

thanks!

about your MLT Bobby, do you have pics somewhere of the inside? What is on the inside of the top coupler? i assume you dont want splashing and such.

thanks!

Yea I would be interested in seeing to. I was considering just using a piece of silicone tubing to a nipple, that would lay over the grain bed. But would like to see other ideas.

Also Bobby, your videos have been so helpful in setting up my system and learning the all grain process. Thanks. :mug:

Soon to have the Jester clone Keezer, and Bobby clone brew rig. :rockin:

Many use the silicone tubing laying on top of the grain bed, no need for a nipple. Some use Loc Line modular hose and the other main choice is a sparge ring. I've used sparge ring & silicone and the silicone seems to work best in my set up.

Many use the silicone tubing laying on top of the grain bed, no need for a nipple. Some use Loc Line modular hose and the other main choice is a sparge ring. I've used sparge ring & silicone and the silicone seems to work best in my set up.

I see....so you just have a elbow..i assume SS with some silicon tubing hanging down to the grain bed. makes sense. thanks!

Latest posts

Back