BeerSmith Software, Impressions?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SanAntoneRR

Reaction score
I am getting back into home brewing after a few years away. I did mostly extract brews when I was doing it before and only did a few AGs.
Is this software something useful only to newbs or is it something I will use a lot?

Thanks,
Steve

there very hepful and you will deffinitly use it alot. Download the trial and check it out- its free online

make sure you check out the caluclators. They help me the most although the recipe functions are good too.

I'd guess you'd call me sort of an "intermediate" brewer. I love BeerSmith. I use it all the time for creating new recipes, checking out the analysis of recipes I find on the net, seeing how modifying an existing recipe changes things. An excellent piece of software!

It's a really good program. Lots of utilities for all kinds of brewers. Brewlogs, tools, inventory, scaling, etc. You won't be disappointed.

I haven't had a chance to use it yet (no Mac compatibility yet -- though apparently he's pretty close to a release for it). After hearing everybody's praise for it I'm definitely anxious to try it out though!

I love it and prefer the interface to other programs.

I haven't had a chance to use it yet (no Mac compatibility yet -- though apparently he's pretty close to a release for it). After hearing everybody's praise for it I'm definitely anxious to try it out though!

Can't you run it via Wine? I've done so in Linux just fine, and Wine is available for Mac too. I ask this all the time but it's like no one ever tries it. www.winehq.com

ODaniel, thanks man. I'm reading FAQs about Wine right now and will download it once I understand the install and everything. Awesome!

No problem. Yea it was pretty simple and straightforward with Linux, so it should be with Mac. Install Wine, install BeerSmith under Wine. Run. Good luck, hope it works!

Brewsmith is great for planning but it isn't really set up to track everything that happens on brew day and during fermentation. I keep a separate spreadsheet to record times, actual temperatures, gravities, etc.

I like beertoolspro better than beersmith but it's really down to personal preference. You'll certainly get the most help in figuring something out with beersmith just by virtue of it being the defacto.

Back