Can you fill a 5 gal keg half way and bottle the rest?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

surfingpl

Reaction score
Can you fill a 5 gal keg half way and bottle the rest? Would it be okay to bottle half of a 5 gal batch, and keg the other half in a 5 gal keg? 2.5 / 3 gal kegs are expensive. Thanks.

KENTUCKYBREWER said:
not to sound like an ass but what do you think is in the 5 gallon keg after you drink 2 or 3 gallons :drunk:

Yeah you'll be fine go for it! :mug:

lol, no problem, that is exactly what I was thinking. But, I am still a total noob at this so I am kinda paranoid about head space and oxidation and blah blah blah.

So just fill it half way, hit it with a little co2 and let it sit for a while. :mug:

Pull the pressure relief valve every few minutes after you put the keg on the gas. With that much headspace there will be a fair amount of oxygen. However, CO2 is heavier than Oxygen. If you pull the pressure relief valve air is going to get released and it is going to be the lighter gas that gets expelled. In this case, the Oxygen, leaving only the CO2.

cubbies said:
Pull the pressure relief valve every few minutes after you put the keg on the gas. With that much headspace there will be a fair amount of oxygen. However, CO2 is heavier than Oxygen. If you pull the pressure relief valve air is going to get released and it is going to be the lighter gas that gets expelled. In this case, the Oxygen, leaving only the CO2.

That is a perfect explanation! Thanks :rockin:

The main concern would be how to properly determine how much priming sugar is to be used for the bottling.

Back