Bayou Classic SQ14 w/ 20PSI regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CrookedChris

Reaction score
I've been looking at getting either the Bayou Classic SP10 or SQ14 burners w/ stand. The SP10 is nice because it totes a 20PSI regulator that supposedly results in 185k BTU output. The SQ14 comes w/ a 10 PSI regulator for 55k BTU output. However the SP10 won't hold a keggle well without modification and the SQ14 will.

I'd really like the physical stability of the SQ14 w/ the BTU output of the SP10.

Is anyone running a 20PSI regulator on the SQ14? Can I expect that if I did this I would get the 185k BTU output advertised w/ the SP10?

I should really just take welding classes at the local community college so I can build my own sculpture w/ whatever burner I want.

Thanks!

WHAT??!!??

A SP10 won't hold a keggle without modification??? O man, I just ordered a keggle for my SP10.

bigben, the SP10 is 14" in diameter and a standard 15.5 gal keg is 16-1/8". I've read of people using the SP10 unmodified w/ keggles but it sounds shaky at best. Most just add a grate (from a grill or something) w/ a diameter larger than that of the keggle to make it stable. I wanted to avoid that step if possible.

Check out this thread:
http://www.brewboard.com/index.php?showtopic=77907&hl=SP10

You can use a higher pressure regulator for more BTU's...
I use an SQ14 with the stock reg and it's fine for 5 gal batches, I'd probably upgrade regulators if I was brewing 10 gallons though.

Ok, about the SP10...

The keg has a lip on the bottom right? Can't you just let the lip overlap and hang over the burner and rest the keg on the flat bottom, or is it curved? Im still waiting for my keggle.

bigben said:
Ok, about the SP10...

The keg has a lip on the bottom right? Can't you just let the lip overlap and hang over the burner and rest the keg on the flat bottom, or is it curved? Im still waiting for my keggle.

depends on the keg

You can use a higher pressure regulator for more BTU's...
I use an SQ14 with the stock reg and it's fine for 5 gal batches, I'd probably upgrade regulators if I was brewing 10 gallons though.

What PSI have you been running it at?

I just put three of these into my single tier.

What PSI have you been running it at?

I just put three of these into my single tier.

FYI, I run an SQ-14 type ring burner on a 0-10 psi variable pressure regulator. IMO, this burner is one of the best choices for home brewing use. I use it to boil 12 gallon (pre-boil near 14 gal) batches regularly with no problems at all. Pouring on massive amounts of BTU's may get you to a boil a little faster, but it also wastes a huge amount of fuel in the process. It's one of them diminishing returns things. IOW, it's not at all linear. The ring type burner is also an excellent choice for use on a direct fired RIMS as it distributes the heat much better than the cup type diffuser burners. You can also control the flame on the ring burners much more precisely, especially at very low flame levels.

How long does it take you to bring 12gal to a boil?

I'm not really sure. I begin heating the wort during the sparge, so it doesn't take long from that point on. I would guess from say 140 F it probably takes about 20 minutes to reach a boil if I pour on the coal, which I usually don't do in order to conserve fuel. I've never actually timed it.

FYI, the SQ-14 can only handle about 10 psi max. The flame will will lift off the burner at anything much beyond that and it wastes a lot of fuel. There's a limit to how much heat you can transfer with reasonable efficiency through the kettle bottoms. The key word there is reasonable. Sure, you can run it wide open throttle, but the diminishing return catch comes into play when you do. The SQ-14 is plenty fast enough to satisfy me. It has power to spare.

I believe the Bayou Classic website says that the SQ-14 will blow itself out with a 20psi regulator.

Well, I generally agree with that. Even when turning up the adjustable (0-10 psid) regulator all the way, it damn near blows itself out. I've often wondered if you could enlarge the holes in the burner slightly to push the limits, but then it might not work as well at low flame levels and you would risk ruining the burner as there would be no reversing that modification. There also doesn't seem to be a good reason to try that as it performs quite well as is.

Hey guys. I just purchased four sp-10s (bg10 burner) for my single tier. I used to only have a single sp-10 and it was good. It would bring 5 gals to boil fast. I figure it may be a bit overkill; but I'm going to have a single sp-10 under the HLT and the Mash Tun, and I'm going to run a double sp-10 under my boil kettle. I purchased my stuff off from amazon. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0009JXYSW/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Prices ran at $15.00/burner and 25 for a 30psi regulator... $85.00 for the entire setup shipped (free super-saver shipping). I was going to go with a 20psi regulator w/ stainless braid hose, but they wanted $11.00 to ship that one item. So I got a 30psi regulator with no hose for the same price minus the shipping cost. With the 30psi I'll have more power just in case the double burner needs a little more a$$. This setup is much more cost effective (in my opinion) if you're willing to do a little modification. If anyone's interested, I'll do a google sketch-up file and e-mail it to you. Let me know. Cheers!

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been using the BG14 burners with the 0-30 adjustable PSI regulator from Bayou Classic. Couldn't be more happier with the performance of these. Incredibly efficient and gets 8 gallons to a boil within 15 minutes.

I have 2 SQ-14s with the BG-12 burner. The first one I got has a 15 psi regulator on it and it works really well--never blows out, etc. Then I got one with a 10 psi reg, and it seems sluggish in comparison. I can't say the 15 psi model is a bit less efficient, but it boils 7 gallons of hot wort in about 15 minutes. The 10 psi model takes maybe 25 minutes, but it will maintain a lower flame than the other--lower than I need to maintain a boil, in fact, so I don't care. I get about six 6-gallon batches per 20-lb propane tank.

If I were building a system I would find a way to get 15psi regulators for these burners. No question.

I got one of the other style burners with a lot of old brewing equipment off of craigslist, but I have yet to use it.

If I'm going to hard plumb two (Maybe three in the future) sq14s, should I run a 30 psi regulator with individual needle valves for each burner?

In my understanding this set up would be capable of full flame on all 3 burners or just one at a time. Each needle valve would control the gas flow to that burner while the 30 psi regulator would supply my manifold with enough gas for all 3 burners to run simultaneously.

Am I understanding this correctly?

Thanks

I have a sq14 and love it. The only problem I have is that the sq14 is so low to the ground. I wish it was higher so It was easier for me to transfer my strike water into my 10gal rubbermaid mashtun. Has anyone seen a solution to raising the base of the sq14 on cinderblocks or anything without stability/tipping issues?

I have a sq14 and love it. The only problem I have is that the sq14 is so low to the ground. I wish it was higher so It was easier for me to transfer my strike water into my 10gal rubbermaid mashtun. Has anyone seen a solution to raising the base of the sq14 on cinderblocks or anything without stability/tipping issues?

I raise mine a little on Cinder blocks, but I lay them on their side. I wouldn't be too comfortable standing them up on end and then having the burner on there. You could stack them two high on their side. I would think that would be plenty stable.

Back