NB Cream Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveb1

Reaction score
Happy New Year Everyone.... 4th kit or so... for some darn reason I got my water to 170, dropped my grain bag in. (vs putting bag in and getting temp to 170 or 20 minutes whichever comes first).. realized I screwed up so I dropped the temp to 140 ish and let it steep for 17 minutes then raised the temp to 170 for a total of 20 minutes give or take a minute. I am guessing all is well, but it may not be as "blonde" as it should be correct? I was doing to many things at once... oh well...

Thanks,

Dave

Good batch to brew. Was a very good beer.

I took mine to 170 and dropped in the specialty grains as per directions and kept it there. I don't think you screwed up. If I remember the instructions say to steap at 170 for 20 minutes. You should be good.

Hi daeb1,
The instructions for that brew are a little skimpy. It says "steep for 20 minutes or until water reaches 170 degrees". The intent is to throw the grain bag in cold water, turn on the heat, and wait until it reaches 170, not to steep for 20 minutes at 170. Too long at 170 could potentially release some tannins, but I wouldn't sweat it. You could have thrown the grain bag in at 170, shut off the heat, and let it steep for 20 minutes. Steeping is not a super-critical thing, so you'll be OK.

Back