EdWort's Apfelwein vs. BrewFrick Panty Dropper

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyrfalcon

Reaction score
I made a batch of Apfelwein and Panty Dropper today... Once they're done I'll distribute the nectar and see which one is the best.

Now before either of the recipes authors gets their panties in a bunch, here are the modifications I made to each recipe.

Modfied Apfelwein: OG 1.065

5 Gallons 100% Tree Top Apple Juice
2 pounds of bakers sugar (Ultrafine Pure Cane Sugar)
1 five gram packet of Montrachet Wine Yeast

Modified Panty Dropper: OG 1.080

8 cans of Roundy's (not Wal-Mart) Apple Juice Concentrate
2 Gallons Tree Top Apple Juice
2 lbs Regular White Table Sugar
Sweet Mead Yeast – WLP720
Topped up to 5.5 gallons with Britta Tap Water
1-1/4 Cup Dark Brown Cane Sugar
1 Cup Pure Honey
~20 Cloves
1 Cinnamon Stick

May they both win!!! :D

DSCN0171.JPG

Awesome match up.

I just put my first batch of Ed's into the carboy this afternoon. Maybe while I'm brewing tomorrow I'll make an additional batch of the panty dropper for my own comparison.

I'm bottling my first batch of Apfelwein today. I varied from Ed's recipe a bit. I used
  • 5 gallons Mott's 100% Apple Juice
  • 2.5 lbs brown sugar
  • 2 sticks cinnamon in primary
  • pinch of ground cinnamon in "boil"
  • 1 packet of Montrachet
We shall see how it turned out...

wow, this is a great idea. Speaking of brown sugar....does it have a shelf life? My ******* bought another bag to cook with the other day because I searched, and searched, and found none in the house. Of course, I walk in the door, and it might as well have been hanging from the door.

I could make some panty dropper if anyone knows about the shelf life....it's still pretty flexible, but not like a new fresh bag

Sounds like a good challenge, but it's not my Apfelwein as you used cane sugar instead corn sugar (dextrose) as is called for in my recipe.

Dextrose will ferment out and produce a drier Apfelwein without adding any flavor.

Cane sugar can add some off flavors if too much is used.

Very flattered to have my recipe used to compare to Ed's. It is a bit of a diversion from each of the respective original recipes but I really like the spirit of the comparison. I used brown sugar in my first cider attempt but ended up not liking the overall twang that it added to the stuff so I have left it out of apple fermentations since. And I really think that you might have used too many cloves for this, might be a little overpowering. Still, I hope all of it turns out well for you. :)

EdWort said:
Sounds like a good challenge, but it's not my Apfelwein as you used cane sugar instead corn sugar (dextrose) as is called for in my recipe.

Yes that's true as both recipes were modified. I forgot to pick up dextrose and used bakers sugar instead...

I'll definitely do a proper match up in the near future with no modifications. :mug:

gyrfalcon said:
From C&H: Sugar, properly stored, has an indefinite shelf life because it does not support microbial growth. ;)

woot! Sounds like a plan to me!

Back