Water Volume Measuring Stick/Rod

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bytemyfoot

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I do 5 gallon BIAB. I'm looking for a way to measure the volume in my pot at any given time. For example, I'd want to measure my water volume before heating, but also during the boil. I vaguely remember seeing somewhere that someone was using what appeared to be rod stock (maybe stainless?) with gallon markings chamfered into it, specific to their pot. I have pretty much no metalworking experience, so I'm wondering how difficult something like this would be to pull off.

I have also read of people just using a metal meter stick and knowing what measure corresponded to what volume. I'm sure this would be a lot easier, but I thought it would be cool to have a customized measure. Let me know what you think!

PS - Not interested in using a sightglass

You could also accomplish the same thing by using a wooden dowel. This is great for everything prior to the boil, but may not meet your needs post boil. A similar option is to purchase a plastic mash paddle from your LHBS. These are inexepensive, would stand up to the heat, and you could make your markings on the handle. It could be used preboil and post boil.
I hope that this helps.

Mark

I've taken most of the plastic out of my brewing and am trying to keep it that way. As for the wood, I think that would work since I believe people use wood paddles all the time (not sure if during boil though...) but I was hoping to use stainless for this for durability's sake.

Stainless flat stock isn't too expensive and can be found at big box stores but you can definitely get away with a (cheaper) metal yard stick. No metalwork experience required really. There are etchers that can be had for cheap as well but you could just as easily make your marks with any number of improvised tools-screwdriver scratching or other blade/edge or hacksaw. One of those things that you can do cheap and easily if you want or make it a bit more complicated.

I used to use a plastic spoon that I made marks on with a pipe cutter.
I finally just broke down and bought a sight glass for my BK from Bobby_M, should've done that LONG ago!

I use a Bayou Classic wooden stir/paddle with notches at the gallon marks (calibrated with room temperature water added a gallon at a time) to accomplish this. It's accurate enough for my needs, and I use the paddle through mash and boil (time will tell how it holds up I suppose). I think the paddle cost me ~ $15. Prior to that I used a length of CPVC with lines marked with a Sharpie (maybe not the best idea, but it worked).

After reading this I'm thinking of taking my dremel and putting a little score mark on my stainless stirring spoon at gallon increments. I could just add one gallon, mark the spoon. Add another gallon, mark the spoon.
I like the idea of using stainless or plastic after cooling the wort although others with more experience may say wood is fine.

I use a wooden yard stick, just so happens that my pots work out to 1/2"/quart. Makes volume measurements easy!

mrmcdowe said:
I use 1/2 copper pipe. I marked it with circles from lightly using a tubing cutter on it. I also use to measure water in HLT.

I did that as well and also put a 90 degree elbow on the top with a notch in it to rest on the edge of my BK. I marked it in 2 litre increments from 18-50L.

After reading this I'm thinking of taking my dremel and putting a little score mark on my stainless stirring spoon at gallon increments. I could just add one gallon, mark the spoon. Add another gallon, mark the spoon.

I'm kinda liking this idea as easier, although I do have a fairly good idea of the volume based on where the wort is in my kettle relative to the handle rivets.

What do you have against using a sight glass/tube??

I tried using mixers, and other things, to figure out how much was in the volume. Once the wort was boiling, it was difficult (at best) to get anything even close to the actual volume in there. Sight glass (that I have on my keggle) is damned easy to get an accurate read on how much is actually inside it.

Basically, I don't want to have to cut the hole in my pot...

wow... Now I really have heard it all. :eek: :fro:

While I wouldn't drill into a Blichmann, I have no hesitation about putting holes in any other pots, kettles, keggles, etc.

IMO, the benefits of the sight glass outweighs any discomfort you have in putting another hole (or two) into the kettle. It is a kettle, right? Not just a pot? Unless this is a pot you also use for cooking food, I'd just do it. If you don't have a brew kettle, I highly recommend getting/making one. A ball valve, for one thing, is a HUGE saver. Saves from spills when pouring into the fermenter. Saves from having to siphon if you're not pouring. I could go on but I won't.

No, it's a dedicated 15 gallon brew pot with weldless thermometer and ball valve. However, I ordered it that way, I didn't do the modifications myself.

EDIT: I'm also concerned about the fragility of a sightglass. I don't have a ton of space to store my brew gear, so everything gets pack together pretty tightly.

I've done two sight glass assemblies so far. One welded in, one weldless. The weldless version is much tighter to the side, but the welded can be removed easier (TC fittings). I have a stainless shield over the glass tube on mine, so it's safe/protected. When I was driving to my brew buddy's place, bringing the keggle with me each time, I simply had the welded sight tube/glass off the keggle. I never removed the weldless from the side, since it was close enough to not be an issue.

The welded assembly might protrude a couple of inches from the side. The weldless was just a little beyond the humps on the keggle, so much tighter.

You could install the sight tube to one side of the ball valve. That way, you'll not really need to worry about it taking up more space. That's how I set up my current keggle .
keggle_sight_tube_assemly_welded-57028.jpg

The TC cap to the right of the sight tube is where my ball valve goes. Directly above that is the recirculation inlet fitting.

First keggle:
current_keggle_outside-54680.jpg

BTW, I'm not installing thermometers into kettles/keggles anymore. I have a much better way to get temperature readings. :D

What do you have against using a sight glass/tube??

Nothing, inherently, but my SS brew kettle also doubles as my turkey fryer. Sight glass tubing I'm use to seeing doesn't stand up to hot oil.

Besides, it's not that big of a deal to measure it.

My brew keggles are dedicated to brewing 100%. :rockin: I also use borosilicate glass in my sight tubes along with silicone o-rings that are safe to about 500F.

I wouldn't (and can't) trust the polycarbonate sight glass tubes. The temp they start to fail at is simply too low for me. Plus there's a thread (or a few of them) about them getting fractures after what I would consider 'normal' cleaning routines. Use of oxiclean, or PBW (which is what I use) making this happen. I'll stick with the glass sight tubes, stainless fittings and silicone o-rings all around. :D

How about a string with knots tied in it? A length of braided nylon mason's cord would work nicely. Or how about a piece of stainless steel brake cable you swipe from your neighbor kid's bicycle? It is quite thin and flexible. That will teach him not to ride across your lawn. You could tie a stainless steel nut on the end of it. You'd be able to sanitize it easily enough by just dunking it in a beer glass full if Star San if you felt the need to sanitize it. You could keep it in your pocket so you would always have it close at hand.

I, too, could go on but I won't. The Packer game is starting to get interesting. I think marking your spoon handle is the best suggestion.

I have different kettles with various diameters. To keep things simple I use one stainless steel ruler and have a chart with volume per half inch in columns for each vessel. Stand the ruler in the tank and read off the chart for the volume in gallons

buck57 said:
I have different kettles with various diameters. To keep things simple I use one stainless steel ruler and have a chart with volume per half inch in columns for each vessel. Stand the ruler in the tank and read off the chart for the volume in gallons

This is the most universal solution I have heard yet. It varies with diameter but once that is known you know where you stand.

Back