11.2oz vs. 12oz

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CidahMastah said:
true. Which is why I brew my own beer and remove myself from the consumer end as much as possible. I find less self loathing going on that way :D

True enough, but unless you grow your own grain and hops, you're still a consumer, just of a different product. ;)

Sorry had to add...

Cousin Sven - "Yaaa das is a problem of two much beer wif unt bottle from Broeklyn, 12 ozzy das is two much"

This whole topic is a non issue, it says on the packageing the amount you are getting, 11.2, 12, 22, or whatever, so it's not like any company is trying to trick consumers. If you don't think it's a good value, don't buy it.

Just hope they don't start following Coke's lead. Noticed in the grocery store the other day that a "case" of Coke only has 20 cans now. What's next a ten can 12-pack?

All true, but there is a cost/risk for everything. If I grow grain/hops the crop could fail. Or I could screw up the malting process. Or it could consume all my time and my wife then leaves me. Then I will be really broke due to the divorce settlement and be forced to drink too much BMC to curb my failed farmer induced depression.

While I participate in consumerism by buying in bulk grain I at least cut out much of the middle man and beat the commercial brewer at his own game. I can make a similar bomber to his for less than $1 because mine is exempt from taxation and other labor fees. Had the price not been so high, or the bottle been 11.2oz vs. 12oz ;) I would not have been incented to brew my own, I would have bought his at a reasonable price (discounting the crazy brew rig costs, let's call that a "hobby" for arguments sake haha :mug:)

If I can produce a same or better product for cheaper than a business can at a commercial level then the commercial brewer has lost my consumerism until I run out of the time or source of grain and hops to brew brew with.

In reality my desire for craft beer and the rising cost made me want to brew my own beer. I remember buying stone 22oz smoked porters for years for $1.99. Was happy to pay it over BMC. When those prices shot up to $5+ I knew the cost was outweighing the value of the product (for me I was right). But I am that guy who gets lost in the details over principle oriented events. Just who I am. Some people are happy to apy and not interested in brewing.

Thanks! I actually saw your handle and thought of Tar Valon before I saw your comment about my handle!

I have gotten spoiled out here in the Republic of Cascadia (Puget Sound area of Washington State!) There are probably 30 to 50 different 22oz craft beers available in your average grocery store like Albertsons, Fred Meyer, Central Market, Whole Foods, etc...

I saw that too. Especially easy to spot since I'm in book 5 currently.

I don't know that I've ever seen an 11.2 ounce beer so far. Except for some weird foreign beers, everything seems to be 12 ounce and 22 ounce for me. I'll keep my eyes open though.

I wish they'd all just go with pints and be done with it. Or 1/2 litres.

true. Which is why I brew my own beer and remove myself from the consumer end as much as possible. I find less self loathing going on that way :D

I'm boycotting myself because about a quarter of my most recently bottled batch is in 11.2 oz bottles. I've sure got a lot of nerve, trying to put one over on me like that!

I'm boycotting myself because about a quarter of my most recently bottled batch is in 11.2 oz bottles. I've sure got a lot of nerve, trying to put one over on me like that!

haha, that's the spirit!

I find drinking from one of your 12oz bottles helps reduce the self loathing for bottling with the 11.2 bottles.

iv_hokie12 said:
Even if it is 11.2, I love buying Guinness just because their bottles look awesome and will look even cooler with my beer in it.

Yes! I have a couple cases of these. They're also way better than removing paper labels from bottles. Now that I'm kegging my bottles are neglected most of the time though.

Baby Beers are back? In the '70s some states raised the taxes on 12 and 16 oz beers, so a few companies started putting slightly less beer in the cans to avoid the special tax. Not well received.

Btw Cidah, even at 11.2, I bet that Orval was delightful! Come on, admit it.

Haha twogunz you blasphemer! :D

Actually I plan to try that orval tonight with the wife because we keep putting her brew day off (she is going to do her first brew with me in the next few weeks). Of course she picks the belgian specialty ale, with brett. I told her this brew was a little more advanced/ complicated. She said, "just like me".

Bought a variety 8 pack of ommegang too. Really liked their abbey dubbel at the brewfest event this year. I don't think you went this year, but they had a lot of really good craft brewers - I couldn't get through half of them and I was trying.

Back