Mystery bag of hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BesteBrew

Reaction score
In the back of my freezer I found a bag of pellet hops. I have completely forgot as to what kind of hops they are. I was thinking of just tossing them in for dry hopping my fermenting rue IPA. Does anyone foresee a potential problem with this or have any other good ideas? Me thinks that they are about 6 months old.

At six months they have probably lost a bit of potency so using them as flavor/aroma would seem to be safer than trying to use them for bittering.

An interesting dilemma is whether to use them alone and not know what you are going to get or to mix with another so that you partially know what you are going to get.

Let us know how this turns out.

I'd be very afraid to use them in dry hop. Seems like the wrong place to potentially hurt the beer.... right at the end when it would have been fine! haha

make hops infused vodka! :D then you can have tastings and people can try to guess what they are. How much of the hops do you have? If you have enough you could try to make a single hop beer. I think that would be a pretty cool experiment.

I would say its prolly bout an ounce and a half. Also it's two different types of hops. I was going to use them to dry hop something else but forgot to write them down. Most likely I am just gonna dry hop with them and hope for the best.

Back