10 gallon mega pot w/ possible hop clogging issues?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zodiak3000

Reaction score
I was looking to purchase a 10 gallon mega pot w/ ball valve. This way I can just open up the ball valve and transfer cooled wort to carboy. I am concerned though that the ball valve might clog up with hops if Im brewing something like an IPA. Anyone have issues with this specific pot or have a solution if there is clogging issues?

You'll need to make a dip tube to get nearly all of the wort out of the pot. Then all you'll need to do is put some stainless steel wool or copper wool on the inside of the dip tube to act as a strainer.

zodiak3000 said:
i dont use bags anymore. ive noticed a significant difference in hop utilization...

Agreed. But that's probably going to be your best bet to ensure you never have issues. Another thing you could do is put a piece of steel wool in the ball valve on the inside, or dip tube if you go that route. That would act as sort of a strainer, but it would suck if it clogged. Though if it's already cooled, it wouldn't be as big a deal

how do i make a dip tube? doesn't it seem like the steel wool would ultimately clog the dip tube and/or the ball valve? im also wondering if anyone has actually had issues with the mega pot 10 gallon clogging because of hops. i plan on using a stainless strainer inside a funnel on top the carboy to filter any hop particles that may enter the carboy

how do i make a dip tube?

Among other ways, you can use a threaded elbow (see below) a bazooka tube or false bottom in the kettle should also help with whole leaf hops.

I use pellets and whirlpool.

IMAG0265.jpg

Among other ways, you can use a threaded elbow (see below) a bazooka tube or false bottom in the kettle should also help with whole leaf hops.

I use pellets and whirlpool.

IMAG0265.jpg

for the purpose of the dip tube, couldnt i just tilt the kettle on its side to get out the rest of the wort? i also use pellets and never could achieve a proper whirlpool (though ive only tried it 2x). do you have steel wool in the dip tube or do you have clogging issues?

how do i make a dip tube? doesn't it seem like the steel wool would ultimately clog the dip tube and/or the ball valve? im also wondering if anyone has actually had issues with the mega pot 10 gallon clogging because of hops. i plan on using a stainless strainer inside a funnel on top the carboy to filter any hop particles that may enter the carboy

Buy a "keg weldless bulkhead kit" from bargain fittings. Include a 2-piece stainless steel ball valve (extra $11) and the "standard coupling" for the inside of the vessel. Also pick up either a 1/2" barb or 3/8" barb while you're there, since they have good prices for those things. I'd recommend the 1/2".

Yes, it will work with your pot, even though your pot is not a "keg."

Now if you want to go the cheap route for a dip tube, you can make one out of copper with pieces from your local home improvement store.

You'll need a 1/2" to 1/2" NPT threaded male connector.

resize

You'll need a short piece of 1/2" rigid copper. Really, really short. You'll need less than 12" worth.

You'll need a 1/2" 90° elbow.

And you'll need to solder these together somehow. Soldering copper isn't hard.

And you'll need a copper pipe cutter.

Cut one piece of pipe about 2" long. This will be the pipe that is horizontal with the bottom of the pot.

Cut another piece of pipe as long as you need to make it to about 1/4" away from the bottom of the pot. Don't forget that part of the pipe is going to be inside the 90° elbow.

Google images of "copper dip tube" and videos of "copper dip tube" if you need more help.

You can make a dip tube from copper pipe and an elbow or just buy one from a homebrew vender. If you are concerned about clogging you can get some stainless braid to put on the end of it. Also there shouldn't be any issues with the pot itself its just the straining method that would cause the problem.

I use a fasle bottom in my boil kettle and pellet hops and never had any issues clogging. That solution could also work for you but will cost you significantly more.

I wouldn't worry too much about this ive never had anything clog with hops. they've been sucked through my dip tube before but never had em clog it.

im wondering if i even need i dip tub? i dont mind tipping the kettle on its side to get the excess wort, im more worried about clogging issues in the ball valve...

I don't use a strainer, or grain bag, or anything like that - and I don't have issues with clogging.

I just whirlpool, wait a few minutes, and open the drain. Sometimes a big chunk of leaf hop gets in the tube and drains out, but it doesn't clog.

While draining, I tilt the other side of the kettle so it's angles slightly down toward the valve.

Don't worry too much about this stuff - it's not worth the trouble IMO.

Back