Moldy PBW

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ere109

Reaction score
Last week I started a batch of PBW to soak and wash some bottles. I got distracted by a few things and the liquid bath has been sitting in the corner of the bathroom since. I noticed this morning that there is mold growing on top of it. Probably not good for the cleanliness of those bottles.

ForumRunner_20110926_080421.jpg

dump it and follow the instruction for PBW, should be fine after a nice hot 30-45 minute bath in PBW then rinsed with the same temperature water

Likely that mold is from the bottles you are soaking and not mold growing on the PBW. Not a big deal. If you see the bottles are clean inside... then rinse and startsan or one step sanitize them and they are good to go.

From the webcast from 5star I heard... PBW doesn't have to be warm, it just helps. It is just as effective cold, witht eh only caveat being... more time is required to do the same amount of cleaning.

I soak a lot of stuff overnight and used to get moldy bottles from bars and clean them by soaking for several days. Aside from the eye twitch, I am A-OK

I've left pbw sitting open like that for weeks and weeks with no problems. But I do sometimes get mold floating to the top as it is released, like Hopsalot said.

Back