Establishing and Maintaining a House Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asdtexas

Reaction score
We have several posts regarding pitching on yeast cakes and washing yeast. Is there a definitive way to keep one yeast going for a long period of time? An idea to start this off:

1. Maintain yeast for 3 or so batches by either pitching on a partial cake or washing in between.
2. After third batch, wash and move to sanitized mason jars per the thread.
3. Do a starter, decant liquid and start yeast again (assuming its smells good)
4. Repeat

Is this terrible technique? If so, why?

I wouldn't pitch on top of a cake, I would just wash batch one, clean and sanitize the fermentor, then pitch the washed yeast. No starter necessary with the appropriate amount of freshly washed yeast less than a week or two old as long as your sanitation practices are thorough.

Skip the yeast cake... Go to mrmalty and convert the mls to tbsp in thick slurry. Pitch that amount and be happy. Also, to really maintain a strain you should streak it on a plate or slant. Leave this alone until it starts to die off, then reslant it. I only have my slants for when the flavor profile of a given yeast starts to drift. I can toss whatever stock of a given strain I have and start over with original genetics.

Gotta agree with the opinion of washing between batches. Otherwise your procedure is perfect. No need to bother with plating/slanting it unless you find some new flavour that is amazing. If you are brewing at least every 3-4 months then you can just keep washing it and taste how the yeast progresses over the generations.

Back