Oatmeal Stout Yooper's Oatmeal Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This thread has taken a turn, but I want to bring it back and comment on how awesome this recipe is. I kegged (for the first time ever) this recipe, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, and since I am amongst the impatient on this forum, I have only had it force carb'ing for 24 hours @ 25 PSI / 40 degrees, which means, it is not yet carbonated..but I pulled a sample anyway and...well....MIND = BLOWN!

I am thinking a lot came together when I brewed this....water chemistry especially...but not to discount how well put together the grain bill / hop additions are. @Yooper, you nailed this one!

The aroma is roasty and sweet, the taste/mouthfeel is creamy, sweet, malty, and roasty..hints of chocolate, coffee, and caramel....BLISS.

Nothing else to say except that this will be a holiday (maybe more) tradition from now on.

Thank you for the kind words- we love it too and I'm really happy with this recipe.

Not trying to be an ass, I am looking for knowledge; why would I want to let it finish?

No, I cannot tell the difference, you are correct. But I am trying to improve my process and be more consistant. I don't have anyone locally who can help me on my system, so I really only have this forum and Google (which sometimes can be bad because I will read two different things). I dont care for the other forums. Thank you for your help. :)

I love that you are trying to improve your process- but this is the recipe database, which is a repository for proven recipes, not a class on basic or advanced brewing techniques.

The rest of the forum is broken down into appropriate categories for these questions and answers, and that is a great place for questions about bottling before FG is reached, and why not to do that; or for questions on yeast attenuation. Please feel free to ask any questions at all in the forum, as that is what it is there for. The recipes database and thread is for those good recipes, and specific questions about the recipe itself and not for brewing questions.

Thanks!

One cannot sinply stop fermentation by any means other than boiling. If sugars are present yeast will reproduce and eat all the available sugars. If there is alot of sugar and you bottle it you will keep all the co2 and create overcarbed or possibly a bottle bomb.

The only way to control your final gravity is in the mash temp/mix/boil process.

Good luck sir!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biscuits View Post
This thread has taken a turn, but I want to bring it back and comment on how awesome this recipe is. I kegged (for the first time ever) this recipe, Yooper's Oatmeal Stout, and since I am amongst the impatient on this forum, I have only had it force carb'ing for 24 hours @ 25 PSI / 40 degrees, which means, it is not yet carbonated..but I pulled a sample anyway and...well....MIND = BLOWN!

I am thinking a lot came together when I brewed this....water chemistry especially...but not to discount how well put together the grain bill / hop additions are. @Yooper, you nailed this one!

The aroma is roasty and sweet, the taste/mouthfeel is creamy, sweet, malty, and roasty..hints of chocolate, coffee, and caramel....BLISS.

Nothing else to say except that this will be a holiday (maybe more) tradition from now on.
Thank you for the kind words- we love it too and I'm really happy with this recipe.

I must say I wholeheartedly agree. I did a split batch of this. I bottled 5 gallons of this that had been in secondary with 1 vanilla bean and 4 ounces of cocoa nibs that hasnt been tasted yet then I kegged 5 gallons of this all two weeks ago and it is just great. Even my wife loves it. Everyone that has tried it loves it.
Thanks Yooper for a great recipe. This will be served in my house regularly.

Carbonation isn't where it needs to be yet...but for the first time, maybe ever, I don't mind drinking the uncarbonated beer.

OatmealStout.jpg

Is your bottle capper working properly?

I'm going to second this suggestion as a very possible culprit. I've always bottled with a standard wing capper with no issues at all. Had to get a new one for the last two batches, and they were both nearly totally flat (and both didn't get any more carbed after 2 weeks).

Last batch was a 5 gal hefe that I used 5 oz of corn sugar to prime. I was completely stumped. Then someone else mentioned the possible capper issue, and I noticed upon closer inspection that nearly every bottle had a ever-so-slightly not fully crimped edge (never experienced this with my old trust capper - which is waiting patiently in storage). It's the only thing that changed in my process (the new capper). I've also heard that over time they go bad, so it may just be time for a new capper.

I ended up getting a grand total of two bottles out of the hefe batch that got a better crimp, and both were well carbed and with a full body. Needless to say I'm throwing this new capper away.

Just brewed this and it's pretty good, I do notice that it's ever so slightly tart though and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that way or not. The only thing I deviated on the recipe was using Nottingham instead of the British Ale yeast. It may just be that I'm so used to drinking milk stouts though, but my closest comparison would be to pit this against a Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout which I don't recall having any hint of tartness at all.

Just brewed this and it's pretty good, I do notice that it's ever so slightly tart though and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be that way or not. The only thing I deviated on the recipe was using Nottingham instead of the British Ale yeast. It may just be that I'm so used to drinking milk stouts though, but my closest comparison would be to pit this against a Sam Smith Oatmeal Stout which I don't recall having any hint of tartness at all.

The yeast most definitely plays a factor but how long did you ferment before bottling/kegging? Yooper recommends you let it sit at least 10 days after the 21 day fermentation so the flavors can meld.

This is a long thread and I've read a lot of it, but not all, so forgive me if this has been answered.

I am planning to make this recipe with as little modification as possible. One of my LHBS stocks nearly everything this recipe asks for exactly. However, I am having a difficult time locating a local source for Black Barley 500L. I've been able to find it online, but with shipping it's going to cost me $15 to get a lb of it. So i'm wondering about the suitability of the following as substitutions.

1. Briess Roasted Barley (300L)
2. Pauls Malt (UK) Roasted Barley (500-700L)

My experience with roasted malts is minimum. Looking for opinions on which route I should take.

This is a long thread and I've read a lot of it, but not all, so forgive me if this has been answered.

I am planning to make this recipe with as little modification as possible. One of my LHBS stocks nearly everything this recipe asks for exactly. However, I am having a difficult time locating a local source for Black Barley 500L. I've been able to find it online, but with shipping it's going to cost me $15 to get a lb of it. So i'm wondering about the suitability of the following as substitutions.

1. Briess Roasted Barley (300L)
2. Pauls Malt (UK) Roasted Barley (500-700L)

My experience with roasted malts is minimum. Looking for opinions on which route I should take.

Use #2, it's really a colorant and not much of a flavor adjunct. PM me, if you are in the USA, I will first class a couple ounces of the black barley you need, on me.

I just finished a 5 gallon batch of Yooper's Oatmeal Stout this evening as well as a partigyle using a pound of brown sugar to increase the gravity. Boiled gravity ended up being only 1.020. BrewSmith calls it 2.6 ABV if it finishes at 1.000.

Is this in line with other partigyle brews? It is gonna be a bear to clear, lots of particulates in there.

This beer is not the least bit tart. If you have a tart finish, I suspect the nottingham, which is that way if it's fermented above about 65 degrees.

I just finished a 5 gallon batch of Yooper's Oatmeal Stout this evening as well as a partigyle using a pound of brown sugar to increase the gravity. Boiled gravity ended up being only 1.020. BrewSmith calls it 2.6 ABV if it finishes at 1.000.

Is this in line with other partigyle brews? It is gonna be a bear to clear, lots of particulates in there.

It will never finish at 1.000- it should finish at 1.014-1.018. I think you may have a non-alcoholic-ish beer there. The brown sugar would not be a welcome addition, in my opinion. I think brown sugar tastes pretty horrible after it's fermented out

This beer is not the least bit tart. If you have a tart finish, I suspect the nottingham, which is that way if it's fermented above about 65 degrees.

It will never finish at 1.000- it should finish at 1.014-1.018. I think you may have a non-alcoholic-ish beer there. The brown sugar would not be a welcome addition, in my opinion. I think brown sugar tastes pretty horrible after it's fermented out

Well, that is just sad. Oh well, nothing spent but the brown sugar so I will give it a taste once it's done and I may use it as a backbone for another brew... Or not.

In any case, experiments are fun to do even if they don't turn out. ;)

In other news: The Oatmeal Stout hit the OG in the dot and tastes wonderful!

The yeast most definitely plays a factor but how long did you ferment before bottling/kegging? Yooper recommends you let it sit at least 10 days after the 21 day fermentation so the flavors can meld.

I actually did a quick 2-week fermentation for this beer, however now that it's kegged and tapped on Nitro it tastes great... I'm sure it will only get better with time.

Going to try this recipe for the first time on new years day. Pretty excited to see how it turns out. I was thinking of taking two gallons and trying a brett yeast on top of the english ale. Anyone tried making this funky?

Yes, I think it would be fine although I'd try to use a 1/2 cup of yeast from somewhere "cleanest" and try to avoid most of the hops debris in there.

OK, I was disappointed in the results.
After three weeks in the primary and two weeks bottle conditioning, I had a sweet, unbalanced mess with zero head retention. I was going to dump it to free up the bottles but decided to keep it for cooking.

Fast forward another month and I'm out of beer.
Desperate, I throw a couple of bottles in the fridge and low and behold, the beer gods have transformed this into an outstanding food-friendly stout. :tank:

Now if I could just get SWMBO to get over the color.

My batch is happily bubbling away today and will make its way into the keg tomorrow to condition. So far, the sample I pulled to measure gravity tastes very nice as it is starting to lose its sweetness already.

Anyone get a light oily film in the carboy? Mine's been sitting for about a month, and I'm ready to bottle, but it looks a little odd. Could it be the oats?

I racked off to the keg already but didn't notice any oily film at all, the yeast cake looks good too. That said, I am only four days or so in the primary before racking off to the keg.

I'll snap a pic tonight. My initial concern was lacto, as I had an extended lag period before fermentation took off, but the appearance hasn't changed in the past week, so I don't think it's the beginning of a pellicle.

That doesn't look right. It looks more like the start of a pellicle or something. I never had anything oily on the surface of mine.

The flash overexposed it, the residue is not that white at all. It's been three weeks in primary, so I'm bottling very soon and will taste a sample. What comes out of the airlock smells very nice.

I brewed my second batch of Yoopers Oatmeal Stout Sunday and found that I didnt have any S05 so I substituted S04 instead. I did a quick database search (quotes are from other threads) and see that over time, there is some diversion from S04 from Yooper and was wondering if anybody has had a successful brew with S04 in Yoopers Oatmeal Stout to date?

Forgive the two quotes Lorna, I am not trying to irritate you, I am just looking for clarity. :p

For dry yeast, I like Windsor or S04. The windsor if I'm not using alot of sweet malts, since it's not very attenuative, and the S04 for a standard oatmeal stout. I'd probably use S04 for a stout with lactose, so that it's not too sweet.

For liquid yeast, I like London ale yeast (WLP013).

1335. Definitely NOT s04, no matter what.

Yeah, I used to be an S04 "fanboy", but after I made some changes in my brewing set up with the water, I noticed a "tart" flavor that I just didn't like. It was ok, if the fermentation temperature stayed under 62 degrees or so, but I just didn't like that slight flavor I got from it. I did love the way it left a super clear beer and it finished so quickly.

I used up all of my S04 packages on cider and that turned out great!

My all time favorite yeast strain for this beer is Denny's Favorite 50, Wyeast 1450.

Not a fan of smack-packs, both times I tried them, the yeast under-produced in a grand scale. And yes, I did a starter with both of them. ;)

Not a fan of smack-packs, both times I tried them, the yeast under-produced in a grand scale. And yes, I did a starter with both of them. ;)

That's strange. How old were the smack packs when you bought them? Maybe they were several months old? Occasionally my LHBS won't have very fresh packs of certain yeasts and the ones in stock may be several months old. Not every strain rotates in stock quickly.

I brewed my second batch of Yoopers Oatmeal Stout Sunday and found that I didnt have any S05 so I substituted S04 instead. I did a quick database search (quotes are from other threads) and see that over time, there is some diversion from S04 from Yooper and was wondering if anybody has had a successful brew with S04 in Yoopers Oatmeal Stout to date?

Forgive the two quotes Lorna, I am not trying to irritate you, I am just looking for clarity. :p

I've brewed this recipe quite a few times and have used S-04 twice. It makes a very good beer and if that's what you can get there is absolutely nothing wrong with it, you will be happy. But I LOVE the mouthfeel of something like 1450, it's my favorite so far.

I currently drinking a version fermented with 34/70 lager yeast that is amazing on beergas. Think Baltic Porter with a smooth chocolate coffee note. You can do a lot without veering far from this recipe.

That's strange. How old were the smack packs when you bought them? Maybe they were several months old? Occasionally my LHBS won't have very fresh packs of certain yeasts and the ones in stock may be several months old. Not every strain rotates in stock quickly.

From B&G, SLP. Date was good but bought them in the summer and dont know if the truck ride from the distributor was too much for it. I'm a big fan of the Safale yeasts now.

From B&G, SLP. Date was good but bought them in the summer and dont know if the truck ride from the distributor was too much for it. I'm a big fan of the Safale yeasts now.

I shop at the same store, it's just a few miles down the road from me. If you know when you're going to brew, stop in a couple weeks beforehand and talk to Kevin, the owner. He will add a few smack packs of whatever yeast you want to the next weekly order. You can get Wyeast that's only a couple weeks old.

Yeah, I used to be an S04 "fanboy", but after I made some changes in my brewing set up with the water, I noticed a "tart" flavor that I just didn't like. It was ok, if the fermentation temperature stayed under 62 degrees or so, but I just didn't like that slight flavor I got from it. I did love the way it left a super clear beer and it finished so quickly.

I used up all of my S04 packages on cider and that turned out great!

My all time favorite yeast strain for this beer is Denny's Favorite 50, Wyeast 1450.

I am actually glad to see this. I tried this recipe once and was not happy with the results. I knew it couldn't be the recipe, but it was a little sour/tart and maybe a little metallic. It eventually overcarbed and got dumped. But now I think I know the culprit: fermentation temperature! I am currently limited to whatever room temperature is in the house...usually 68 to 74F. If I can ever get a temperature controlled fermentation box, I will try this recipe again!

I am actually glad to see this. I tried this recipe once and was not happy with the results. I knew it couldn't be the recipe, but it was a little sour/tart and maybe a little metallic. It eventually overcarbed and got dumped. But now I think I know the culprit: fermentation temperature! I am currently limited to whatever room temperature is in the house...usually 68 to 74F. If I can ever get a temperature controlled fermentation box, I will try this recipe again!

Get one of those big plastic wash tubs at Walmart and make a swamp cooler. Put the fermenter in the tub, fill up with cold water. Freeze water in some plastic pop bottles and toss 3 or 4 of those in the tub each day. If you can keep the temp down the first few days, that's the most critical part.

pACE3-1028033enh-z7.jpg

Get one of those big plastic wash tubs at Walmart and make a swamp cooler. Put the fermenter in the tub, fill up with cold water. Freeze water in some plastic pop bottles and toss 3 or 4 of those in the tub each day. If you can keep the temp down the first few days, that's the most critical part.

pACE3-1028033enh-z7.jpg

This is exactly what I use. It took me a while to find these actually. I thought they would be easy to find but couldn't find them at multiple places. Finally got 4 at a dollar general store and fill with about 1 inch of water, toss the fermentor in, then put two frozen plastic water bottles in. Works great!

Back