Yooper_Brew--Welch's Grape wine question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acy

Reaction score
I am going to make a couple gallons of grape juice wine using your recipe. This will be my second time making wine. Last fall I made several gallons of plum wine and apple wine from my fruit trees. Both turned out very well, but the trees didn't produce this year, hence the grape juice. When using the fruit to make wine, I started fermetation in a large plastic primary, for 5 or 6 days, before transferring the wine into one gallon secondary jugs that I bought at a wine making supply store. The way I read your recipe, you are skipping the larger primary vessel and going straight to the one gallon secondary. Is that correct? Also, is there a specific yeast that you prefer for this wine?

BTW- I put a couple dozen plums (very sweet prune plums) in the freezer last fall. I am going to get them out, remove the skins and pits, boil them and use the juice in place of water in one of the gallons of grape wine just to see what happens. Bad idea??

Thanks, Al

I have a question about the Welch's wine also. If I were to add some white raisins in the secondary to add some body to the wine, how long would I leave them there?

I am going to make a couple gallons of grape juice wine using your recipe. This will be my second time making wine. Last fall I made several gallons of plum wine and apple wine from my fruit trees. Both turned out very well, but the trees didn't produce this year, hence the grape juice. When using the fruit to make wine, I started fermetation in a large plastic primary, for 5 or 6 days, before transferring the wine into one gallon secondary jugs that I bought at a wine making supply store. The way I read your recipe, you are skipping the larger primary vessel and going straight to the one gallon secondary. Is that correct? Also, is there a specific yeast that you prefer for this wine?

BTW- I put a couple dozen plums (very sweet prune plums) in the freezer last fall. I am going to get them out, remove the skins and pits, boil them and use the juice in place of water in one of the gallons of grape wine just to see what happens. Bad idea??

Thanks, Al

From my understanding boiling fruit is bad because you'll release pectin and get a haze that doesn't go away.

Failure to Clear: If you boiled ingredients to extract flavor, color or both and your wine fails to clear, you most likely have a pectin haze (see Pectin Haze below). If your wine is made from starchy ingredients, especially grains or tubers, that were boiled and pressed through a nylon straining bag and then fails to clear, you most likely have a starch haze (see Starch Haze below). If your wine has an off-color haze that fails to clear, you probably have a metal contamination (see Colored Haze below). If you have a haze following a malo-lactic bacteria inoculation, you probably have a lactic acid bacteria haze (see Lactic Acid Bacteria Haze below). If none of these apply and your wine fails to clear after six rackings at 30-day intervals, you simply have a nonspecific cloudy wine. Unless there is a bacterial contamination at work, the wine will probably clear but may take up to a year to do so. If you don't care to wait that long, there are several things you can do.

Pectin Haze: The most common cause of a haze in wine is the presence of pectin, which forms gelatinous solutions in the wine. The problem is aggravated if the must is initially boiled to extract flavor, color or both. To check if a haze is pectin in origin, add 3-4 fluid ounces of methylated spirit to a fluid ounce of wine. If jelly-like clots or strings form, then the problem is most likely pectin and should be treated.

Link

i make wine almost as much as i do beer, and yes, dfc is correct. don't boil fruit, as it does release pectic enzyme. get it to 170 or over (not much over), and hold it for at least 10 minutes. that'll sterilize it.

Thanks dfc & lumpher. No boiling the plums. Al

Right. I don't even bring them up to above 70 degrees. I use campden tablets (one tablet per gallon) to sanitize the fruit so that it's not heated at all, simply thawed.

For that Welch's recipe, since I make it in one gallon batches, I just start it in a Carlo Rossi jug. You can start it in an ale pail if you'd like.

Raisins can go in for as long as you'd like- I've left wine on raisins for a month or so, I believe.

Your recipe says to no air lock it it'll "primary fermentation" is complete... How do I know if "primary fermentation" is complete? I have it in a 1 gal glass jug covered with a napkin and its been bubbling like mad for 3 days now.

Should I wait till the bubbling slows or ??????

Your recipe says to no air lock it it'll "primary fermentation" is complete... How do I know if "primary fermentation" is complete? I have it in a 1 gal glass jug covered with a napkin and its been bubbling like mad for 3 days now.

Should I wait till the bubbling slows or ??????

Wait until it's not going to foam over, usually within about 5 days.

do the raisins make a big difference?

I have used them before during fermentation and all they do is turn into a grape and it wasn't what I wanted. I think it is better to wait until after the fermentation is done to add them so the surgar doesn't ferment out.

I started this recipe 10 days ago. OG was 1.090 and 10 days later it is 1.000. is this the normal amount of time for fermentation? I'm going to stop fermentation tonight with some campden because I like the taste where its at... So do I stop fermentation and then bottle a few days later? I have racked it and its in the fridge to stop fermentation till I can get campden tablets today...

I started this recipe 10 days ago. OG was 1.090 and 10 days later it is 1.000. is this the normal amount of time for fermentation? I'm going to stop fermentation tonight with some campden because I like the taste where its at... So do I stop fermentation and then bottle a few days later? I have racked it and its in the fridge to stop fermentation till I can get campden tablets today...

That seems about right. One word though- campden doesn't stop fermentation or kill yeast. If you've racked it, and it's clear, you need to use campden and sorbate to inhibit refermentation.

Sorbate doesn't kill the yeast either, but stop it from reproducing. Campden doesn't do much, but sorbate works better in its presence. It's very hard to stop an active fermentation so this may not work. Don't bottle it until you're sure fermentation doesn't restart!

If it doesn't work, let it ferment out completely. THEN rack off of the lees and add the campden and sorbate. The wine can be sweetened to taste at that point.

Got it. I'll add the campden and sorbate tonight and see if it starts bubbling again. Thanks yoop. I'll let you know how it turns out! If its good I'm thinking of starting a 5 gallon batch...

Looking at my logs I forgot to add pectic enzyme at the beginning of starting this wine. Right now I'm at .995 SG and am going to let it go till dry.

My question is can I add the pectic enzyme when I rack it to help it clear or is it too late to add it at all?

Back