Anyone ever use their grains for cooking breads or anything?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shlegminitism

Reaction score
Just curious since i popped a grain of carapils in my mouth to check for freshness when i realized the vacuum sealed back must have had a whole in it. Man thats some yummy grains. It seems like if ground up, it could be used to add wonderful flavor to bread.

Any attempts to make anything besides beer with grains?:mug:

What do you think bread is made from? GRAIN!!

But no, really, I know lots of folks bake even with SPENT grains. I agree with you, I like to chew on grain while brewing!

Discussion comes up every few months. Look below for similar threads or search "spent grain". Bread, pretzels, cookies, pizza dough, dog treats, you name it.

I use spent grain and the leftover runnings for the moisture in my bread.

I have a couple of tablespoons of spent grain in my breakfast cereal every morning. Regular? I'll show ya regular!

There are two threads on this forum that come to mind. One is for "no-knead bread" and the other is for "spent grain dog biscuits". Do a search and you'll find them both...

I'm sure there are others but those two come quickly to mind.

-Tripod

I have a couple of tablespoons of spent grain in my breakfast cereal every morning. Regular? I'll show ya regular!
Nice.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I will look into them. I wonder if spent grain would be as good as just crushing some fresh and mixing it in with the flour, maybe with some nuts or something. :rockin:

I was thinking of burrowing it in my garden. Don't know if it'll give any help to the soil.

Its definitely compostable. Might take a while to break down and add to the soil without the heat of aerobic decomp but i may be wrong on that. The birds may run off with it if you turn your back to long.

The quail LOVE the spent grains, and the neighbors chickens make pigs out of themselves when I toss the grains into their run.

Latest posts

Back