Cheap DIY Cold Smoker!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Coldies

Reaction score
I posted about this and thought I would do a quick write up about it since it's really simple and very cheap. Cold smoking is basically smoking without the heat. Cheese is the first thing that comes to mind needing to be cold smoked but you can do just about anything. I originally built this to smoke my grains for a smoked porter that I wanted to make. Yes you can buy smoked grains but as all you fellow homebrewers know its always better to DIY.

Anyhow, here is a list of what you need:

New soldering iron (Needs to be new)
ColdSmoke007.jpg
[/IMG]

A can that once held food or anything metal that can tolerate heat, I used a can cause I along with almost every household has one. You start by opening the can half way
ColdSmoke006.jpg
[/IMG]
On the other end you drill a hole the size of the soldering iron (Only the metal part)
ColdSmoke004.jpg
[/IMG]
On the top of the can I drilled small holes for smoke to escape
ColdSmoke005.jpg
[/IMG]
The wood chips I use are from Turners Outdoorsman but Im sure a lot of BBQ places will have what you need. The key is to get the small chips and not the chunks and to not wet them. Also do some research what flavor certain chips will have.
ColdSmoke001.jpg
[/IMG]
ColdSmoke002.jpg
[/IMG]
You load up the can with the wood chips at the end that you opened half way and bend it back so no wood chips can fall out and insert the soldering iron all the way in until the handle hits the can
ColdSmoke008.jpg
[/IMG]
Plug it in and your cold smoking.

I use my weber BBQ as my smoke chamber cause if anything did catch on fire it would not be a problem and holds the smoke pretty well. I also built a grain holder out of SS screen material.
ColdSmoke009.jpg
[/IMG]

And thats it. A cold smoker for around $10.

Latest posts

Back