Too Long in the Primary Fermenter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DtownRiot

Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could tell me how long is too long in the primary? Ive read countless times that aging only makes the beer better. Should I let a brown ale sit in the primary for three weeks or should I transfer it to my secondary for aging?

I 90% of my beers in Primary for 4 weeks...then bottle.

The only time I secondary is to dry hop, if I made a pumpkin beer with pumpkin in the boil, or to add fruit.

After fermentation the yeasts like to clean up the byproducts of feremntation...if you rack to secondary you limit the yeasts opportunity to do so.

I entered beers in comps for the first time this year, and the judges raved about the clarity and crispness of my beers...and that was purely from long primary times.

I 90% of my beers in Primary for 4 weeks...then bottle.

The only time I secondary is to dry hop, if I made a pumpkin beer with pumpkin in the boil, or to add fruit.

After fermentation the yeasts like to clean up the byproducts of feremntation...if you rack to secondary you limit the yeasts opportunity to do so.

I entered beers in comps for the first time this year, and the judges raved about the clarity and crispness of my beers...and that was purely from long primary times.

YEAST.

Come on.

Oh wait, yeast's. Still.

Back