Man cave/brewery/bar build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rld04

Reaction score
First of all, I am only posting this because these types of threads are my absolute favorites to follow. I have spent too many hours going through these build threads, and I want to contribute to the entertainment of those that share my same sickness!! Plus, feedback and ideas from those on this forum would be valued and welcome! This is going to take a few months, so hang in there. i will update as i go!

I am starting the project of finishing off a large area in my basement. I'll be doing a 15×25 finished room for a movie room/entertainment area with a fireplace. Attached to that will be a 7×9 bar/kitchenette . Behind the bar will be a 9x15 brew room for my future electric system. Pictures to follow!

20150404_161141.jpg

20150404_161210.jpg

20150404_161351.jpg

20150404_161305.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry for sideways photos. Anyone know how to fix it from uploading photos sideways? Thanks!

First of all, I am only posting this because these types of threads are my absolute favorites to follow. I have spent too many hours going through these build threads, and I want to contribute to the entertainment of those that share my same sickness!

I share your sickness!! lol :mug:

I got some framing done yesterday and this morning. This is the bar/ kitchenette area. Next is the door opening to the brew room, which is going to be behind the bar area so taps come through the wall behind the bar. Last is the support wall, which is coming down. I need 2, 14 inch wide, 16f long LVLs to support the floor above. Getting those this week.

20150406_130346.jpg

20150406_130159.jpg

20150406_130401.jpg

Made a trip to menards yesterday. Got these these big ole LVLs for the support headers, plus a bunch more framing lumber. The SWMBO asked the question "how much you spend?" Hate when she asks that, as I know what follows my response. She was not thrilled to say the least.....but come to find out, the last picture is why! She suprised me with this bad boy later that evening, which inflated the daily total spent by a bunch! Im spoiled!!

20150408_121333.jpg

20150408_104100.jpg

I put up a temporary wall for support (pic 1), then I was able to tear down the bearing wall. Made some nice big beam pockets (pic 2) and then got the headers installed. Got the temp. support wall down. It really opened up the space nicely.

20150411_114627.jpg

20150411_160305.jpg

20150411_163623.jpg

I love to look at these builds, but they always make me jealous because we don't have basements in Texas! I'm thinking I need to kick the kids out and build an electric brewery upstairs!

Seriously, though, that looks like you have a lot of space to work with. It'll be great to see what you do with it!

Update: I got most of the rough in framing done. I used 2x4 walls all around the exterior, so I can fully insulate and run electrical. I just need to put a bulkhead above the bar to hide the header and duct work that is running there. I still need to frame in for the corner fireplace once I figure out what size fireplace Im putting in. This week is my big week for work (5-12hr night shifts), so progress will be slowed. Hang in there, as I will post as I go..

Screenshot_2015-04-13-13-15-33.jpg

20150413_130942.jpg

Here is a visual of the space im working with. Any input on how to maximize this space or features I need to have in this space, would be appreciated.

20150413_134739.jpg

this is one draw back of living where i do, no basements, to do cool stuff like this. Looks like a great plan! great work!

And I echo your comments about these types of threads being the most entertaining.

Update: I have been busy working and when you work 7pm-730am, u need to do a lot of sleeping also. The SWMBO also strongly requested that I do outdoor work now that the weather here in West Michigan has turned the corner towards spring. I will post pictures as I start the rough-in electrical and plumbing soon (SWMBO willing). In the mean time, please give me ideas for this project. For those of you who have a bar/man cave area, what things do you like and what do you wish you had in the space? I am thinking about doing a engineered hardwood floating floor in the main area, with tile by the bar/kitchenette area. Im debating if I want to run that same tile into the brew room, or just do a stained concrete or concrete finish of some type. Some feedback would be appreciated.

When ever I see something like this, All I can think of is:

"LUCKY BASTERED"... :)

Latest posts

Back