how much to fill bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
chemist308 said:
So, I'm about to bottle my first two batches of beer. How full do I make the bottles?

About an inch to an inch and a half from the top should be fine. That's how I do mine, and haven't had any exploders yet.

chemist308 said:
So, I'm about to bottle my first two batches of beer. How full do I make the bottles?
If you're using a bottling wand, fill the bottles right to the top. When you withdraw the wand, the perfect amount of headspace will be left.

BlindLemonLars said:
If you're using a bottling wand, fill the bottles right to the top. When you withdraw the wand, the perfect amount of headspace will be left.
and fill until all the foam is out of the bottle. I put the bottles on a cookie sheet because some beer always spills out. Good luck! :mug:

RichBrewer said:
and fill until all the foam is out of the bottle. I put the bottles on a cookie sheet because some beer always spills out. Good luck! :mug:

Same here. I fill until all the foam is pushed out. I lose maybe six ounces or so doing it this way. No big deal.

BlindLemonLars has the correct answer.

I sanitize my bottles in the dishwasher. I'll put my bottling bucket on the counter, then fill the bottles on the dishwasher's open door. Easy clean-up... just close the door!

I actually liked to wind up with about a half inch of space left in my bottles. The space that commercial breweries leave is largely due to a number of circumstances that don't apply to homebrewers. I don't give a flip if I have exactly 12 oz. of beer in my bottle, but I do care if I have more oxygen in there than I need to.

No bombs, either, in my career.

TL

Back