help turning keg into brew kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
View attachment 112087

Here is a pick of a Brewhardware.com sight glass and thermometer combo in my BK. I love them, I also have one in my HLT. I have dip tubes in both.

View attachment 112091

Curious what your filter media is and/or how you attached it to your dip tube.

I'm going to be making my keggle this week and would like a nice filter around my dip tube, although I think I will be pulling from near the edge so I can whirlpool.

There really are no filters that work all that well. I've tried just about everything and bagging your pellet hops in mesh bags (or similarly fine meshed stainless baskets if you wish) is the most practical way to do it. Any other particulates such as hot/cold break can just go right into the fermenter. Keep in mind that anything physically installed onto the interior of the drain will need to be removed for cleaning anyway.

Thanks for the input...

On my old kettle without valves, I just whirlpool and used my siphon, it would let the majority of all my pellet junk stay in the bottle.

Might be the best option on the new one as well.

Thought I'd share how things are going

image-1950036525.jpg

image-2253901107.jpg

image-3276507140.jpg

atimmerman88 said:
Curious what your filter media is and/or how you attached it to your dip tube.

I'm going to be making my keggle this week and would like a nice filter around my dip tube, although I think I will be pulling from near the edge so I can whirlpool.

I'm sure you are prob done by now but I'm just seeing this now, the weldless valve I have is threaded in the inside so all I had to do is make a angled pipe using 1/2" ridged and a female connector. Hope you made out ok.

I'm sure you are prob done by now but I'm just seeing this now, the weldless valve I have is threaded in the inside so all I had to do is make a angled pipe using 1/2" ridged and a female connector. Hope you made out ok.

Yep, she's all done except for putting on a sight glass that I'll get around to some day.

Brews well, just need a bigger chiller since I've got a bigger pot now. sighhh

Just means I get to buy more brewing toys

Back