Scarlet Dragon - 6 Months in the Making

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeathBrewer

Maniacally Malty
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So, i finally bottled my Gulden Draak clone. It's been in carboys for six months...i racked it twice to repitch cuz the damn thing just wouldn't drop in gravity. It was my fault originally, i didn't make quite a big enough starter and i racked too early. :drunk:

when i tasted it a month ago, it was pretty good...very fruity. now i think it got some fusel alcohols from the final pitch and sitting at high temperatures...it's still fruity but has an almost bourbon taste to it.

anyway, now it's bottled. i think i'm going to wrap it up in garbage bags and bury it under the dirt in my friends basement, than open it in a year or so. it's at about 10.5% alcohol and i think with that sharp alcoholic bite it will definitely be a sipping beer, but i think a year will help to blend and mellow it a bit...and if not, what have i got to lose?

:mug:

Sweet name. I think you should drink one bottle a month to note how the flavor changes over time. Might be a fun experiment !:drunk: :drunk:

My Aventinus clone is only about 8% and it had an alcohol bite to it. Its in the bottle about 6 weeks now and I had one tonight and it was pretty good. The alcohol taste has really mellowed. I think in another month this stuff is going to be really good.:ban:

I thought this stuff was destined to be paint thinner so I'm thrilled. I'm sure yours will mellow out as well.

What is the ABV for commercial Gulden Draak? Sounds Barley Winish.:drunk:

Regards,
Al

Back