Need advice on Belgian Tripel that stopped early.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

walke2jd

Reaction score
So, I brewed the Midwest All Grain Belgian Tripel kit. It started at 1.065. It has been in primary for the last 6 months or so and when I racked it into the keg this past weekend, I measured the FG at 1.040.

So according to Dave's Dreaded Gravity Calculator, I only have about 3.2% ABV.

What are my options? Should I try and repitch something else, or should I just carb it up and enjoy it sweet?

When I did the taste test, the flavors are great, but I've never tried drinking a beer with that much residual sugar.

That is exceptionally high for a tripel. I'd try pitching champagne yeast and if it doesn't get activity in a couple weeks (checking SG) then maybe try amylase enzyme. What temp did you mash at? Did you do multiple steps like in a traditional tripel? When's the last time you calibrated your thermometer?

Well, unfortunately my brew journal was lost during a house project over the summer, so I lost the mash notes I had. I remember it was a stepped mash and that I hit most of the tempuratures spot on. As far as my thermometer, I calibrate regularly, so that shouldnt be an issue.

Im thinking that the problem may have been a lack of aeration. I need to get an oxygen setup for these high SG brews.

I guess I will rack back into a fermenter and try re-pitching. Will a champagne yeast get me too low? Its supposed to end up around 1.015.

Also, should I make a starter, or can I just sprinkle dry yeast in? Ive never had to repitch, so Im not sure of the protocol.

Are you sure it is at 1.04 instead of 1.004?
1.004 is where it should finish.

Soda is often sweeten to 1.05; is it as sweet as soda?

1.015 is just on the high end for triples if memory serves. They are known for digestibility which is fancy Belgian talk for being dry. Btw if you don't want to add amylase you can try adding some sugar. If you add it after high krausen it can help get that gravity even lower.

I'd probably toss in T-58 instead of champaign yeast. There's enough sugar in there to create non-tripel type flavors, which will definitely throw off the style. You'd get beer, but there's no saying that it'd be any good.

Did you make a suitable sized starter?

Thanks for all the replies. I have so much to learn when it comes to brewing...

I unfortunately did not make a starter. I pitched two vials of White Labs yeast, which I thought would be sufficient. I have just begun realizing the importance of starters.

I think I will give a re-pitch a try. My plan is to make a starter with the T-58 yeast (if everyone agrees that would be the best to try) as I don't want to completly destroy the tripel flavor. Now that it has been half fermented, can I add oxygen or would that be bad at this point?

Oh, and I will check the gravity again when I get home to ensure its 1.040 and not 1.004 I have only used my refractometer a handfull of times, so it could be possible that I misread it.

I'd aerate it again and just pitch one packet of T-58. You're still around 50% of your expected attenuation, so aerating again is safe and shouldn't cause off flavors that are not already there. Just use the one packet without a starter, there are plenty of cells to get the gravity where you want it. You should rehydrate the yeast for 10-15 minutes in warm water.

A refractometer is not going to read correct after fermentation. Did you adjust your reading to account for the alcohol.

^^

You need to use a hydrometer.

Refractometer is not designed to be used on alcoholic beverages; it is only useful prior to fermentation.

^^

You need to use a hydrometer.

Refractometer is not designed to be used on alcoholic beverages; it is only useful prior to fermentation.

This x1000000. Ruined two good batches believing those "correction factors" were accurate for final gravities. They are not.

Wow, so that accounts for most of my problem. I assumed the calculator I was using accounted for the refractometer issue, but it looks like it doesnt.

So, according to the midwest calculator, my FG is actually 1.023 with an ABV of 5.5%

Is this close enough to carb and drink, or should I still consider a repitch?

I will take a sample and use the hydrometer tonight to confirm the 1.023 FG.

I will take a sample and use the hydrometer tonight to confirm the 1.023 FG.

Don't do anything until you get a hydrometer reading. I went all panicky after my refractometer registered 1.040 for an IPA and I added amylase thinking it was stuck. Measured with a hydrometer and it read 1.018 (right on target) but I had already added the enzyme. The amylase took it down to 1.002 :(

But I did get a 14% IPA that drank like water :ban:

Yes on waiting for hydro reading. If it is still way high then pitch your hydrated t-58 though I'm going to guess you won't need to since you said it tastes fine.

So, awesome news: the hydrometer gave me a reading of 1.015, which is within the FG range of the kit! So it is not sitting in the kegerator carbing up.

Thanks everyone for all your help! Now I know to stick with hydrometer readings once fermentation starts.

Back