Should I make a 1000 ml or 500 ml starter for this "older yeast"?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

msa8967

mickaweapon
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a vial of American Pub yeast WLP250 that has a use best by date of March 4- 2012. I am wanting to make a starter for it to so if it is still viable and would like to know if I should go for a 500 ml or 1000 ml starter since this yeast is not that far past its best by date.

I would go with a small starter for the first step. This way the remianing viable yeast will be able to colonize it faster and reduce risk of infection. Once the first step is complete, you can bump that up to whatever size starter you need to get close to your target pitching rate.

its really not that far past, I was going to make a joke about a 2 gallon starter, but i don't think its a joke. at least you'll have a little something to sample while you wait fer yer full batch. (seriously, just pour it in some wort, and let it grow.)

its really not that far past, I was going to make a joke about a 2 gallon starter, but i don't think its a joke. at least you'll have a little something to sample while you wait fer yer full batch. (seriously, just pour it in some wort, and let it grow.)

Yummm....starter beer.......my favorite.

I guess this one case where "go big or go home" does not directly apply. I am using some canned wort and the volume that came out was 700 ml so I will split the difference because I can't see throwing 200 ml of wort away.

Back