Extra Special Bitter with Special B - Holiday Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KAMMEE

Reaction score
I'm brewing a beer tomorrow, that doesn't cleanly fit into style. Not that it matters, but by the numbers it only fits into the Extra Special / Strong Bitter category. I'm debating spicing this with a pumpkin pie spice mix that would make this into an excellent Holiday beer, just in time for Christmas if I keg and force carb. I kind of want to spice it, but also am debating splitting the batch to see what it is like with and without the spice. It should end up as gift bombers if all goes well.

5.5 Gallons

Assumed 70 % efficiency

Target OG: 1.055
Target FG: 1.015
5.2% by volume

10 Lb Marris Otter
1 lb White Wheat
0.5 lb Special B
~12 Lovibond

60 Min 1 oz Northern Brewer - 8.6% AA
10 Min 0.5 oz Kent Goldings - 5.8% AA
5 Min 0.5 oz Kent Goldings - 5.8% AA

WLP004 - Irish Ale Yeast - 2 L starter

1 Tsp pumpkin pie spice mix - at flameout

I made a beer very similar to yours, although it had an additional half pound of crystal 120. I kept the spices (see Brewing Classic Styles) out of the boil and instead steeped them in a bit of vodka about a week or two before packaging. I strained it through a coffee filter and then dosed a sample of finished beer until I felt like it was enough. Then I scaled up my dose to the batch size. This way allows you to control the level of spice at the very end and with kegging, you can keep adding later. But to tell you the truth, I and others preferred the unspiced version. Not that the spiced version was bad, but a pint was all I'd want to drink in an evening. Good luck!

The grain bill is spot on for an esb. The yeast, not so much. IMO, the beer will not lend itself well to holiday spicing. usually a bigger, maltier, darker ale highlights and melds with the spices a lot better. I would mash high and brew it as is....it will be tasty. Irish/ESB

Permo, I agree with your assessment about the maltier grainbill for a holiday beer more in line with something like an old ale or even a wee heavy. I was somewhat limited by what my LHBS had on hand and this was sort of on a whim. I wanted to use special B though to get some sort of raisin character. I'm not huge on spiced beers, so after sleeping on it, I think what I'll do is make a tincture with the spices in vodka, and then use an eye dropper to dose some bombers. This way I can keg this as is and enjoy, but turn it into a spiced beer if I feel like it.

Back