Keezer "5ive"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
@ jaysus: thanks man, ill keep the pictures comin when i get the lights and start to install them... it will probably be a week or so though

Looking forward to seeing the LEDs in action. I thought I had an original idea in using the RGB strips - obviously not, since you're beating me to the execution! Can't wait to see the final results.

@ RensBerserker: thanks for the post. I am looking forward to it too. The great thing about this set, is that if I want, I can continue to add 16ft strips at will and potentially have the whole rooms lights controlled by one controller. (seems great for parties, holidays and such) I'll post pics of the whole process, but the finished keezer might take a while.

Ok, So I havent fully installed the lights, but below are a few pics of the different colors. We need to test them before we tile, to make sure the tile will still look good on the backsplash. Here ya go....

Photo Oct 16, 7 37 23 PM.jpg

Photo Oct 19, 8 47 32 PM.jpg

Photo Oct 19, 8 47 40 PM.jpg

Photo Oct 19, 8 47 48 PM.jpg

Why........Why.........WHY Can't this thread have been created 3 years ago!? I want to see it finished already! Great work futz, keep it up man!!

Oh, he has no keezer. He just wants to go through the whole thread and get to the end, where the project is done.

(We are in the process of converting an old fridge into a ferm chamber though. Unfortunately, the need has fallen off with the cooler temps. My ambient temps, with a straight water bath, seem to be good for temp control these days. But, when 100 °F shows up again in July, we'll be ready!)

LED Lighting
I really like the recessed lighting that many coffin keezers have and want to use led’s because they won’t put off heat, they will last forever, and they don’t use much electricity. I also want to be able to change colors, must come as a package kit, and have dimming as well.

After researching on the net, I found a perfect kit on amazon.com. It’s a “16.4 Ft RGB Color Changing Kit with LED Flexible Strip, Controller + Remote and 12 Volt 4 Amp Power Supply By Ledwholesalers, 2034rgb Kit” sold by LEDwholesalers but fulfilled by amazon. That way I get free 2 day shipping with my amazon prime account!

It cost $55 even and will allow endless features, here are some of the things that it does:
Over 100 different colors including automatic fading and strobe functions
Dimmer on remote
16’ of led rope. With LED’s
30,000 hour lifespan
3m adhesive peel and stick tape
150 Multi color LED’s: one every ¾”
Cutable after every 4” then connect wire via connector clips to go around corners and such
Wireless remote to control every feature (no need for switch just always on consistent power supply)

So I plan on using this to light up my keezer 4 ways (all of which will be controlled simultaneously via the remote:
1. 30” recessed portion of the coffin
2. Recessed under the plywood lid pointing down on the wood that hides the chest freezer frame
3. Under the skirt on the bottom to give it a glow from underneath
4. Recessed behind a nice chalkboard that will be mounted to the wall above & behind the keezer

I am getting the kit on Tuesday, so I’ll be posting pictures soon!
Below I uploaded the generic pictures from amazon for ideas of what it can do.

As always, I love suggestions.. KEEP EM’ COMING!

Was this what you got? http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004RZUX8S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

EDIT: Weird the link didn't show up in your original post, but only when I quoted it - http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0040FJ27S/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

Last edited by a moderator:
@Jeebas: Thats really weird... when i posted it, i made sure the link was there.

anyways... yea thats the item, except the controller looks a little different (has more functions). But its made by ledwholesalers, but i think fulfilled by sunvalleytek. Seems they dropped the price a bit too!

Check out the wood... Stained and ready for tile... We will be finishing tomorrow, just in time for 18 people over for thanksgiving... I'll post pics of the tile process tomorrow

image-5893546.jpg

image-928544762.jpg

image-1508731798.jpg

wow man you didnt mess around. awesome project for you and your old man to work on together and really cool that you will start homebrewing together also!

It looks really great and is putting my mini fridge kegerator to shame ;) Best of luck and cant wait to see it when its done!

I want the final cost breakdown, and an estimated date for you guys to go into businessmaking these! Fantastic keezer! Color me green!

Looks awesome! I think this is very close to how I would eventually like mine to look. But I think that every time I read another Keezer thread...lol

Since my wife gave me permission to put it in the dining room (as long as it looks nice). I think I need to get on the "who's selling a nice Keezer" list.

Hey guys, it's been a while since I've posted last. I have been enjoying wayyyyyy to much beer! (not possible) but anyways, I am working on a total cost for everyone as well as some better pictures. I will also upload a video of the lighting as well.

Recently, i started a small business plan to make custom keezer/kegerators for people across the US and sell them via a website. Nothing is final yet, but the goal is to make it completely portable and have the ability to have a battery backup, along with marine speakers and iPad/iPhone docking station to take it to the next level. I want it to be a rolling party on wheels. Our keezer has been a hit with every single person who has been over to our house, and just from friends and family I have 5 Purchase Orders already. Got any other ideas that can help make them even better? PM me!

Gas lifts, little door to see the CO2 gauges along side or maybe inside the tap box (so running a gas line from the tank to the regulator and then back into the keezer), glass washer... Just naming some of the neat additions that I have seen off the top of my head.

Anyway to make the "shell" and the buyer can stick in their own chest freezer? That might be cool concept.

Back