Something dug up my Cascade

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

br1dge

Reaction score
:mad: So pissed right now. I went out to check on the hops today and something (a squirrel is my guess) had dug up the root on my best plant. It was a first year Cascade and was 10' tall and going strong. The bine and rhizome were completely severed from the root system it had built. I put it back in the ground. Any chance that it re-roots and grows? Will it come back next year?

Fencing will be going around the other 2 for now and possibly traps. I thought they would be fine because I have 2 dogs that are always out by the garden. Guess not.

So sorry to hear about that. I had rabbits eat up all my broccoli and cabbage seedlings before I got the netting up. Very frustrating.

when i had first planted my rhizomes i had skunks or raccoons digging them up because the soil was soft. My guess was that they were looking for earthworms. Eventually i put chicken wire around them and i was set. That does suck man, sorry to hear about that.

I had raccoons digging mine up last year. Someone on this forum suggested human urine as a deterrent. It worked! They stopped bothering the plants.

:mad: I thought they would be fine because I have 2 dogs that are always out by the garden.

I've had the exact opposite experience; the dogs generally being the culprit of the garden damage, not the protector. Particularly if you use fish emulsion or other organic stinky stuff for fertilizer or soil amendments.

Back