Used corny kegs black rubber what a mess...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sirquack

Reaction score
Just got my kegconnection kit recently, and have a few questions about the kegs. Last night I was trying to clean the outside of the keg, remove stickers, etc. and have a few questions..

1) the older rubber must be breaking up or something as I get black all over my hands and everything else. Is there a way to clean or recondition the rubber handles? I tried a little oxy bath and scrubbing with a wash cloth, the water got pretty black. Last night I put a little foam armor all tire reconditioner that seemed to help some...

2) how do you get these darn stickers off. arrrggg

thanks, Randy

With my cornies I bought some Barkeeper's Friend and some Scotch pads. Little elbow grease gets most of the stickers off and scrubbing the rubber seems to get most of the black residue off them. I didn't really worry much about stickers though.....no one sees them.....

thanks guys, I forgot to mention I did get some barkeepers friend also. Will try that on the stickers. Randy

I used PBW to clean my kegs, both inside and out. Bought a pack of those little utility towels at Home Depot and went to town on it with a gallon or two of PBW solution.

Old rubber - ditch it and replace it if you can. As a handyman I find the black rubber flappers and gaskets in the tank of a toilet are often like this - you touch it and it goes everywhere, and will not come out of fabric. I guess the rubber just breaks down and leaches after being underwater for so long.

I tried goo gone with a plastic scraper... what a PITA. Took the keg over to my father-in-laws and he showed me the magic of gasket remover. Those stickers slid right off!
After that I hit it with some barkeeper's friend and she looks real purdy:)

Old rubber - ditch it and replace it if you can. As a handyman I find the black rubber flappers and gaskets in the tank of a toilet are often like this - you touch it and it goes everywhere, and will not come out of fabric. I guess the rubber just breaks down and leaches after being underwater for so long.

Oh yeah those flappers are the worst...black crap EVERYWHERE.

Pressure washer to get rid of the stickers and loose residue. Acetone to get rid of any remaining adhesive. A quick wipe with acetone with remove the top layer of the degrading rubber and leave it in much better shape.

Hey guys, just wanted to let you know I was able to remove the stickers/goo pretty easily using Goo Gone. I just sprayed it on top of the stickers, let it set for about a minute, then using a square raiser blade they came off with little effort. I followed up with some barkeepers friend and they look vary nice now. Onto kegging.... :)

It seems getting as much of the outer layer of oxidized rubber off seems to be the key. I used a hand cleaner with orange oil and pumice that you can get at automotive stores that really does a great job on greasy hands and can be used with or without water. I used one of the green scrubby pads with it. It got a lot of the black off and seems to have helped some. Recommend scrubbing it in the shower to minimize splattering and washing up after the scrub.

I may try a second treatment and see what this does, but seems to have helped some already. It does seem logical that a tire cleaner designed to make tires look like new might be the best thing for getting off the old oxidized layer. I may get some and scrub it good with that.

I see no problem adding knowledge to a thread of ANY age. Carry on!

Three threads that are three years old for the same topic bumped with the exact same message? You must be the kindest hearted mod I've seen.

Edit - there are four threads, not three.

Rev.

Back