Fantasy Baseball 2010

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyO

Reaction score
Sure it's a bit early. But pitchers and catchers have reported to Spring Training, and I'm getting pretty stoked for baseball. I've played in a bunch of fantasy baseball leagues over the years. I was hoping there'd be some fellow fans here on HBT.

If you're interested in joining a free fantasy baseball league, post up here. I'll start doing some research into leagues in the meantime.

I've started a free league over at ESPN. It will be a weekly head to head set up. While most leagues allow you to set up your lineup for the week, this one allows you to make daily updates based upon matchups, hot/cold streaks, injuries, etc.

I have it set up for 10 teams.

Anyone interested, PM me your full name and email address.

Oh and mail me some homebrew.
:D

I'd try? What style? Roto or head to head? Auction or snake-draft?

It's a H2H league. Draft date has not yet been set (have to get more people together). It will be a snake draft though. If we can get this off the ground, it has the potential to be a keeper league.

I'm interested for sure! Will PM you my info asap

You're all set! You should get an email from ESPN with confirmation shortly.

We're now up to four teams. We need ten to make this dog hunt. There's gotta be more baseball fans here at HBT. Anyone interested, shoot me a PM or post up here if you don't know how to PM.

LipStick City is all signed up! Thanks for putting this together Johnny. Can't wait for opening day!!!

Since it is on ESPN I'll take a team. Info being sent in a couple of minutes. Live draft or autopick?

Never done it before but ill try anything once...well almost anything. I'm interested.

"That's what she said"

PM Sent.

After DMCarson is set up, we'll have four teams left!!

Let's keep it going...

Since it is on ESPN I'll take a team. Info being sent in a couple of minutes. Live draft or autopick?

We're doing a live draft. We'll have to start thinking of when to do the draft. I'm figuring the evening of Sunday, 3/14.

David, your inbox is full. I put your info into the fantasy site. You should get a confirmation email from ESPN shortly.

C'mon there's gotta 5 more members who love baseball enough to join the HBT league.

I would really like to see this as a keeper league. Come on people, ESPN leagues are really easy to do. Takes about 1 minute a day to set line-ups.

I would really like to see this as a keeper league. Come on people, ESPN leagues are really easy to do. Takes about 1 minute a day to set line-ups.

If we get enough people to get this thing afloat, it will be a keeper league!!

Excellent!

Not having done an ESPN live draft before, anybody want to walk us through the draft process? I've done autopicks before, but not a live one.

Last year was my first live draft on ESPN. It's relatively easy.

We'll set a draft date and time where everyone should participate. If someone is not able to participate in the draft live, they can go into the site anytime before the draft and pre-rank the players. There is a default ranking, but if you want to change the default rankings, you can (I.e. go in and rank David Wright higher than A-Rod, etc.).

On draft night, you need to go to the league homepage. From there, I believe there will be a link like "Go To Draft" or something like that (I honestly can't remember).

About a half hour before draft time, the draft order is chosen at random by the site.

When the draft starts, the first team (team 1) is on the clock. Each team has 90 seconds to make their draft. If they don't make a choice in 90 seconds, someone will be drafted automatically based upon ranked players and team needs. It then automatically goes to team 2, and so on until it gets to team 10. When team 10 makes their pick, the order reverses and team 10 goes again, then team 9 and so on. It's called a Snake Draft.

That process keeps going until every team has filled it's roster.

When it comes to who to pick and strategies, I suggest picking up one of the Fantasy Baseball draft guides or look online for one. I'm sure the ESPN Fantasy Baseball main page has some resources.

We'll be at a pre St. Paddys day beerfest!

Sorry but Sunday is the best chance at getting more people able to participate, and I would do Sunday 3/21, but I'm not available then.

What does everyone think about 7:15pm on 3/14?

On the settings page it is currently 60 seconds per pick. If you want 90 seconds you will need to change that before the draft. By the way any Sunday evening works fine for me.

Also looking at the settings will really get you thinking about who to draft. There are some pretty steep penalty (negative points) categories! Make sure you all review the settings page prior to setting up any kind of draft list.

Sorry but Sunday is the best chance at getting more people able to participate, and I would do Sunday 3/21, but I'm not available then.

What does everyone think about 7:15pm on 3/14?

What timezone? I assume you're talking 7:15 EST.

What timezone? I assume you're talking 7:15 EST.

You're absolutely right. It would be 7:15pm EST. Sorry about that.

We now only have ONE slot left!! I'm hoping we can fill that in the next few hours!!

How does everyone feel about the 10 team league? If we get more people really interested before the draft, I may be able to bump the league up to 12 teams. That would make it more competitive, but will also thin out the teams a little bit when it comes to talent.

Also, I went through and updated some of the scoring categories yesterday to reflect the scoring in another (more established) league I've been in. They seem fair to me, but if everyone wants something changed, we can definitely explore it. I'm no dictator. Remember though, having some stiff penalties like -5 points for a Loss (Pitchers), only makes it more interesting and you have to think a little more. You might look strongly at Cliff Lee, for example. He was awesome last year for the Phillies. However, with his 14 wins and 3.22 ERA came 13 losses as well.

Thoughts?
:mug:

On the settings page it is currently 60 seconds per pick. If you want 90 seconds you will need to change that before the draft. By the way any Sunday evening works fine for me.

Also looking at the settings will really get you thinking about who to draft. There are some pretty steep penalty (negative points) categories! Make sure you all review the settings page prior to setting up any kind of draft list.

Thanks for the head's up. I thought I had changed that. I set it to 90 seconds.

Leave it to a Mets fan to leave out important information! ;)

10 or 12 teams... the choice doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't go over 12 teams.

Leave it to a Mets fan to leave out important information! ;)

10 or 12 teams... the choice doesn't bother me, but I wouldn't go over 12 teams.

LOL! Hysterical.

I think it would be fun if it were a 12 team league. I initially limited it to 10 teams in case we had low interest. If we get more people in the next few days, I'll look to expand it to 12. No more than that though.

I have a non-HBT buddy or two who might be interested. Want me to reach out to them?

We will be full as soon as the last three teams invited confirm via email. Thanks though!!

I actually invited an outsider in. I ran a league on a mustang enthusiasts site that I was involved in last year. He played in the league, and participated all year. He asked if I was running another one this year, so I sent him an invite.

Don't worry. He likes beer! woohoo!!!

Hey, JohnnyO:

I was just wondering, why are there 7 teams in Division 1 and 5 in Division 2? Doesn't that make for more byes, or are the matchups inter-divisional?

Hey, JohnnyO:

I was just wondering, why are there 7 teams in Division 1 and 5 in Division 2? Doesn't that make for more byes, or are the matchups inter-divisional?

Good call my friend. I went in and adjusted the settings. We now have three divisions (IPA, Belgian and Barleywine) with four teams in each division. This will allow for more chance at a postseason for everyone.

We have two teams who have yet to confirm their team via email. If they haven't confirmed by Wednesday, I will look to recruit two more teams.

The live draft has been set for next Sunday, 3/14/10 at 7pm EST. If you are unable to participate in the live draft, your team will be automatically drafted by the computer using the standard rankings on the players. If you choose, you can go in and adjust these rankings before the draft.

Hope everyone is having a good weekend!!

Back