Decoction?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chode720

Reaction score
This is not a thread to debate whether or not to do a decoction, etc.... I am brewing a dopplebock on saturday and have all day to brew, so I figured to give a decoction a try.

After doing a ton of research, I am going to keep things simple and do a double decoction. Based on what I have read, I am going to use the following mash schedule:

Dough in at beta amylase rest for 30 min.
Decoct, boil, add to mash, and hit the alpha amylase rest.
After alpah amylase rest, do a thin decoction for mash out and then lauter and sparge.

I was reading www.brewery.org/library/DecoctFAQ.htmland they mention that a beta amylase rest of 145 is good for dry beers (like pils) and around 153 is good for thick beers (bock). It does say that anywhere between these temps is okay. Also, there is a temperature range for the alpha amylast rest.

My question is, how much does the beta and alpha amylase temps matter? Should I shoot for 153 and 167 as the sight recommends, or just try and get somewhere in that range?

I'm guessing it wont make too much of a difference, and I know that the fermentability of the beer is affected more by the lenght the beta amylase rest, not the temperature.

Am i just analyzing this too much? (I tend to do this a lot, its my job!)

Thanks!~

Typically a double decoction will have the first one (thick) to raise from a protein rest to a beta, then the second one (thinner) to rise from the beta to alpha.

Looks like a sort of Hochkurz Decoction. Here is Kaiser's Decoction Mashing article. The Hockhurz Decoction is at the end.

Yeah, thats where I pretty much got the idea. Seemed like the easiest way to do a decoction.

My concern was more about the temps. His info recommends 145 and 160 for rests, but the link I posted above said 153 and 167 for bocks. I was curious if the temp will make that much of a difference.

Back