beer in air lock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Filter

Reaction score
i am working on a Mocktobefest ale that i brewed on Saturday and it started bubbling in the air on Sunday and to when i checked it today, i had beer in the air lock, i changed it out with another air lock, what is the best thing to do? i have never had on do that before, it is in a pale and i did not have any crazy OG it was 1.050 and the yeast was wyeast 1007
thanks Lenny

Rig up an airlock blowoff tube.

Airlockbo2.jpg

Ailockbo1.jpg

In a pinch you can use your bottling wand hose to fit in the center post...soak it in hot water.

Also cutting or breaking off the little criss/cross of plastic on the bottom is a good idea, it will keep gunk from sticking to it.

Thanks i am doing this right now, i went back to check on it and it was full again
this is only been 1 hour later
Lenny

Heh Heh Heh....SWMBO just up and PROCLAIMED that my Stout / Braggot didn't need a blow off last night.....This morning she firmly understands why I am a realist not an Optimist.

i have never had to have one before, what do you guys use, plain water or water with a little bleach or some other? i use vodka in my air locks all the time
Thanks Again

Lenny

I recently made a belgian wit and after abotu 2 days in the fermenter it still hadn't shown any activity. By third day it was starting. Before I left work that day my daughter called me to tell me that I had beer all over the floor and asked me what I should do.

Reminded me to always assume I'll need a blow-off tube.

Yeah, 1007 is a rough yeast. I once had a kolsch "explode" in my face when I removed the airlock. Burnt the hell out of my eyes. Now I exclusively use blow offs for primary. Secondary is for the airlock.

Always use a blowoff tube, I have stains on the ceiling when I assumed a 5gal batch would be fine in a 6.5 gal carboy. The real bad thing is it was a stout, Maybe I should just paint the ceiling black.

Beer got in my airlock too. The blowoff tube is a great suggestion, but do I need to replace the airlock, and if so how do I do it?

Back