Chocolate stout question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Skins_Brew

Reaction score
So, i am pretty sure i am going to make a chocolate stout for my next batch and i had a quick questions...

Some of the recipes i have read say to add the chocolate when you transfer to the secondary. My question is, do you just drop small pieces into the carboy? Also, does the chocolate need to be sanitized? Thanks.

Unsweetened cocoa powder is the way to go. I would think that adding actual chocolate would result in some residual oils that could be harmful to head retention.

I just made a variation of tucks Chocolate Espresso Stout last night and i added 8oz cocoa powder with 15 min. left in the boil, smells really good in primary.

You may want to note that cocoa makes a lot of trub (I mean A LOT). You may want to adjust your water volume up just a bit or you will end up a 1/2 gallon or so light on brew you you finish.

Nurmey said:
You may want to note that cocoa makes a lot of trub (I mean A LOT). You may want to adjust your water volume up just a bit or you will end up a 1/2 gallon or so light on brew you you finish.
good to know. thanks

Back