gift label - schwarzwald stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wheat King

Reaction score
so heres a label i did today for my next brew, which i plan to give away along with my pumpkin ale (in 2ndary) as a christmas gift.

im calling it schwarzwald (black forest <---correct me please if i am incorrect) stout as it will be a double chocolate cherry stout. seems some of you folks speak german out there, so if you could also offer help with the characters used in the title. i know there are some of those crazy dots over some of the letters (both A's?), but im not sure. anyway i like it so far, but might make some adjustments if i wake up feeling diffferent. also, i want to put in those crazy dots

4677-schwarzwaldstout.jpg

inspired by others on here, i added a little back label with some blah blah blah on it.

4677-backjpeg.jpg

I like the style, very nice! On white labels cut out? Clear labels with a slight text color change would really pop on amber bottles.

I don't remember Schwarzwald having any umlauts myself. I used to live there in the early 90's. Stuttgart's a pretty cool city.

I love the labels and the name. I made a Black Forest Hefe (blasphemy!) a few months ago. I called it Schwarzwaldenweizen :mug:

Wheat King said:
im calling it schwarzwald (black forest <---correct me please if i am incorrect)

AWESOME label! I grew up just right around the corner from the Schwarzwald and man ... ppl would love that label. If you replace Stout with 'Starkbier' it would be even better! :D

homebrewer_99 said:
It looks nice enough. :D

FWIW / BTW / FYI: The Germans don't make a stout. :eek: A schwarzbier, a bock, yes, stout no.

Maybe not stout, but they do make Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte -- Black Forest cherry cake, generally just called Black Forest Cake in the US. The name is a perfect fit for a chocolate/cherry stout.

Nice label, too.

Chad

Chad said:
Maybe not stout, but they do make Schwarzwälder Kirschtorte -- Black Forest cherry cake, generally just called Black Forest Cake in the US. The name is a perfect fit for a chocolate/cherry stout.

Nice label, too.

Chad
Yes, I know. I've been there also. (I lived in Germany for 9 years).

Chocolate/cherry, yes, but it's still not a stout. ;)

The one recommendation to call it a starkbier, though technically incorrect, was probably the best solution. ;)

homebrewer_99 said:
The one recommendation to call it a starkbier, though technically incorrect, was probably the best solution. ;)

fair enough, i appreciate alll the input. ill consider changing the label to 'starkbier' instead of stout. the recipe is for a stout though haha. thanks again guys. :mug:

really cool label. I like how the trees curve with the label edge and the cherry tint in nice two. I also like how the whole label is doing doulble duty. Is it a forest/moon scene or the top of a cherry cake?? Really excellent.

I love that label. I really like the style of it. How did you make it?
What software did you use?

I'm guessing vector....It looks really professional.

i used adobe illustrator, and im pretty happy with the results. happy enough to leave it be, but perhaps thats laziness more than anything. im planning to print them at work...nothing too thick...and using milk as the adhesive. the shape shouldnt be too hard to cut out i dont think, but a nice square shape would have been easier.

im excited, because i just transferred the batch to the secondary yesterday...and it smells delicious. it has a cool cherryish tint to it too, kinda like the color on the label.

Back