Documentation / Beer Journal

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tgrier

Reaction score
As a new guy on the block.

I was wondering what people are using (word, excel - google docs -- whatever) to document their brews?

I know there are "items" I need to record. But what about tasting notes and such. Excel seems easy at first..but it would seem that would build into a rather large and cumbersome spreadsheet if you are brewing 3 a month or whatever...

just curious... I am thinking about that tonight as I brew my holiday ale.

Cheers!
T

I use beersmith.

Print out a recipe and a brewday sheet. If I feel like it I'll make detailed notes on the brewday sheet, otherwise just the essentials are noted down.

I staple the two sheets plus the receipt from the HBS together and put it in a file.

I also copy the recipe to the beersmith brewday folder. One day I'll actually get around to making tasting notes on there.

Another one for BeerSmith. I copy the master recipe into a brew log on brew day and use that to track the particulars of that batch. Also lets me keep track of how I'm changing recipes over time, although I tend to not repeat recipes all that often, too much new stuff to explore.

-D

I use BeerSmith, too. But I haven't figured out a way to summarize multiple brew days in a single view. I'll have to look into the brewlog that Llarian mentions.

I have an excel spreadsheet that lists the brew, dates, and other notes so I can see my brew history at a glance.

Beersmith here as well. The calendar function is a little messy and stubborn, so I don't use it anymore. It's easier for me to put that into Outlook. For those manual types that still like paper, Basic Brewing Radio was selling beer journals, but I no longer see it on their site. You may want to send them an email.

I'm old school, strictly Excel spreadsheets. Forces me to actually do the calculations myself. I'd consider shelling out some clams for Beertools. That seems like a rock solid application for recipe design.

I use Promash to record each brew session including recipe tweaks. I'll also print out the recipe and put it in a three ring binder that I take out to the garage with me. I have a list of calculations and things that I need to record during the process in the front cover sleeve or the binder and use a grease pencil to record all the various info I take down or need to figure out.

Back