Salsa Brats

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrianP

Reaction score
I learned this recipe from my sister in Sun Prairie, WI. They really know their brats, and at first this sounded strange, but it is REALLY good. The salsa gives the brat a totally different dimension of flavor. Give it a try - you'll be hooked.

You are basically pre-cooking brats in a beer and salsa mixture. When cooked through, or nearly so, you put them on the grill for a few minutes for a little char and some grilled flavor. While the brats are on the grill, you boil (reduce) the salsa/beer mixture to make a sauce. (traditional recipe format is provided below).
Serve the brats on buns and top with sauce. Enjoy!

SALSA BRATS

One package uncooked bratwurst (I prefer Johnsonville)
2 cups salsa
1/2 bottle of homebrew
hotdog buns, hoagie rolls, etc.

Bring salsa/beer to a boil in a large saucepan, add brats, turning occasionally, and cook through (about 10 minutes).

Broil brats on grill, turning often, until slightly charred (about 5 minutes)

While brats are on grill, boil beer/salsa mixture on high heat

Place brats on buns, top with sauce.

Enjoy with more homebrew.:drunk:

That does sound good and your right, those cheese heads do know their brats. Going to have to pick up some brats and try that recipe out today.

We made the brats yesterday for dinner I used a Homebrew Hefe came out great. Thank you

Glad you liked them. They sound strange at first, but I've only made brats the traditional way one time since I was shown this style.

Regards,
Brian

Back