quick random question. fresh squeezed/inmate brew?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrjones1975

Reaction score
What is diffrent about fresh squeezing fruit juices to just fermenting shop bought fruit juice out a carton

Sorry if this is daft question i mainly just starting out to brew beers as a hobby but i have been experimenting with brewing fruit juices as i have got alot of diffrent yeasts and it dont take my fermenters to brew just a 5ltr water bottle with a spair air lock on top and filled with fresh fruit juice.

The word that comes to mind is: preservatives. You can get juice from the store that doesn't have them but if you overlook that on the ingredients list you'll have funny-smelling orange juice but no fermentation, as best I can tell. And you can't add zest, which is apparently helpful in how it turns out (says the lady who's been reading her winemaking books like crazy but has yet to do a juice wine)

spring thank you reply i am now drinking unpreserved tropical juice that has bn fermented all i can taste is dicusting tasting strong fermentation and a twist of off juice if i use berrys 2 make my wine which i can pick localy whats going to be difrent as they are going to be unpreserved also my last lager was realy nice but to me a true wine seems like a challenge and a long way away but i want to master all things fermentable and mostly anjoyable but want to stear clear of kits is this possble at my stage of learning ?

btw wat is that pic i have drunk a\ few but it seems disturbing ?

mrjones1975 said:
spring thank you reply i am now drinking unpreserved tropical juice that has bn fermented all i can taste is dicusting tasting strong fermentation and a twist of off juice if i use berrys 2 make my wine which i can pick localy whats going to be difrent as they are going to be unpreserved also my last lager was realy nice but to me a true wine seems like a challenge and a long way away but i want to master all things fermentable and mostly anjoyable but want to stear clear of kits is this possble at my stage of learning ?

btw wat is that pic i have drunk a\ few but it seems disturbing ?

Most wines are pretty rough tasting right after fermentation. Let the yeast settle out and let age for a month or two before judging the taste.

Wine making requires patience.

As far as kits go, the are good to learn with. Seeing you already brew beer, you know the fermenting basics. The kits I've done come out well and gets me excited to get my next batch going!

You could start with some very easy juice wines. I have an apple juice wine posted, and it's really good!

I don't know if you get some of the same brands of juice we do, but I also have a Welch's juice recipe posted. You don't need that brand, just make sure it's 100% juice and not with corn syrup or weird stuff. Some of the people I've talked to have done juice wine with things like Apple Raspberry, etc.

Take a look at those recipes. They are either found here: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f79/ or under my avatar on the left. Seeing how others are doing it can be very helpful. My banana wine is especially good, and it's easy too!

Thank you guys the juice i used yooper was from the fridge in store and it had a use by date of one week which was prob not a very good idea for aging but ment it did not have sulphates today im going berry picking so i will try juicing a few and experament with them a bit.

Patience, Iago. Wine is aged for a reason. It tastes better after aging.

The photo is of the 747 that carried the space shuttle Endeavor to California. Endeavor landed here in Houston, at Ellington Field (to torture us, since NASA here didn't get one) :) then flew over Austin as well so everybody could see it, before heading west. It was taken by an Austinite that morning.

Back