How would you hop a Belgian Blonde?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MDB

Reaction score
Only on this site would that subject not sound dirty (I know I'm 43 with the mind oif a 7th grader). Anyway, I did one 6 lbs pale LME, 2 lbs pilsner 2 row, 1 lb carapils 1 lb corn sugar - partial mash -- hopped in boil with 1 oz willamette for the whole boil. Went off the reservation and added zest from 2 oranges with 10 minutes left in boil. I just checked the FG and its there, OG was 1.065 FG 1.013 and this beer tasted AWESOME. Though beersmith says my IBUs are way low, all that did was make me question beersmith. Whatever, I am not too familiar with this style would you dry hop and if so, with what?

Thanks.

If I were writing up a recipe. I probably would have shot for around 25IBU using Hallertau at the only hop addition at 60 min. I find that sometimes orange zest can come across as perceived bitterness so it might be making up for what beersmith sees as low IBU.

I think the best way to think of it is this. Some styles are more hop-forward, some are more malt-forward, some are in between. Dry-hopping a malt-forward beer isn't going to simply give you both hop and malt flavor. It will give you more hop flavor, which will cover up some of the malt flavor, especially in a beer without crystal malts.

In a subtle beer like a Belgian blonde, you are getting all of your flavor from the grainy pilsner malt and Belgian yeast. The hops are just to balance it. If you dry hop it, it is not going to make the beer better (or worse). Just different. If you want to do it, go for it.

I love hop-forward beers and malt-forward beers. I think that the quality malt available to homebrewers often goes under-appreciated because we don't let it shine. For example, I never knew how great good old American two-row could taste until I brewed a 20 IBU American blonde. On the flipside, I love hops and brew a lot of IPAs. My advice is to just do whatever you want. If I had to pick a dry hop for your beer, I would go with Sterling. Sterling is similar to Saaz with a hint of citrus. It's a very pleasant flavor.

Though beersmith says my IBUs are way low, all that did was make me question beersmith.

What did it say your IBU's were? One oz of willamette in this recipe isn't going to give you a lot - which is fine for this style especially since you are also on the lower end for OG.
I personally wouldn't dry hop this and let the yeast be the star, but as rex pointed out it's your beer. What yeast did you use by the way?

Beligian Abbey 1214. So I learn somethiung every post. This one I learned some beers maybe dont dry hop. I actually have brewed maybe 7 and haven't dry hopped yet (though I have 2 that will be, just not there yet). I was just thinking dry hopping would bring the beer to the next level. But the sample from this beer was so good I'd be happy drinking as is before carbonation, so maybe the smart thing this go around is forget the dry hop and let it it shine as is. I need to check into this BU:GU thing.

Back