Five European Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

motlekj06

Reaction score
Hey guys and gals,

I'll be heading to Uppsala, Sweden in June to visit a buddy of mine that I lived with in Africa. He is from Sweden and invited me over to do some backpacking, traveling and just bumming around in general.

He promised me I would get well acquainted with the Swedish beer scene while staying there, but since I'll be in Europe i figured I would ask you guys what are some European beers that I HAVE to try while I'm there. I understand they might not be available in Sweden or that I might be able to find them in the States, but just ignore that for now.

So here it is: What are you're top five European beers that I should try if I can get my hands on them?

Not really a European top 5 as you asked but here's some Swedish breweries that make some decent brews (when in Rome, I mean Sweden...): Malmö Brygghus (local brewpub), Mohawk Brewing Company, Närke Kulturbryggeri (my favorite, they have an ESB-like beer called Örebro Bitter that's fantastic), Oppigårds Bryggeri, Sigtuna Bryghus.

Also, make your friend take you to The Bishops Arms, it's a chain of pubs with a nice selection of craft beers and it seems every medium sized city has one. Bring loads of cash though.

Also, Systembolaget (the goverment owned chain of liquor stores) has a decent selection of beers, that might be a good place to start.

Íf you're in the south of Sweden, pop over to Copenhagen in Denmark and visit the Mikkeler Bar. Great Mikkeler brews, local Scandinavian brews and an American beer or two, 20 taps in total and LOADS of bottles.

I hope this helps and enjoy your trip!

I have a layover in Copenhagen, but not long enough to stop by the Mikkeler Bar. That thought already crossed my mind.

I appreciate the input, thanks!

I live close to Uppsala, it's the next town over. Freaky.

But, hmmm... I can't really think of any good European beers at this exact moment. Except for Primátor Premium Dark. I'll come back to you on this. Get your hands on some Gottländsk Rökmalt, it's Swedish smoked malt. I really like it.

Now that I think about it... I almost never buy beer. :p

Edit: But oh, if you want great beer in Uppsala then visit the Uppsala GH Student Nation. It's sort of a mix of... a bar, frat, café and... it's complicated. Just do it!

If you're into Belgians I'd try every Trappist you can get your hands on. Most of the places I've been to in Sweden have a fairly limited selection and alcohol is very expensive. If you make it to Belgium, Netherlands, or Germany though, there are tons of good beers. I like to try whatever local ones I come across because those are the ones you will be less likely to find elsewhere.

Nogne O Porter is the only brand I can remember at the moment, but there are some fantastic juniper beers in Sweden.
Regards, GF

Back