DFH 90 Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerrific

Reaction score
I think I am going to try this out. My first true clone. Do you think if I replace the pilsner malt with domestic 2-row will there be a noticeable difference? Doing so will save me $5.

Yooper Chick said:
I've made the 60 minute clone and changed it slightly, but I believe the amber malt called for was the Thomas Fawcett amber malt- I didn't have that so I substituted maris otter which I like better anyway.

Biscuit malt might be a good sub for Amber as well, if you can get that.

Beerrific said:
I think I am going to try this out. My first true clone. Do you think if I replace the pilsner malt with domestic 2-row will there be a noticeable difference? Doing so will save me $5.

Are you doing all-grain, or the PM recipe that the OP posted? If PM, I doubt you'd notice. If AG, there would probably be a difference, but only if you had the two versions side-by-side. So go with the 2-row (which I think Yoop used in her 60-min clone)

Bike N Brew said:
Are you doing all-grain, or the PM recipe that the OP posted? If PM, I doubt you'd notice. If AG, there would probably be a difference, but only if you had the two versions side-by-side. So go with the 2-row (which I think Yoop used in her 60-min clone)

Yeah, I am all grain. In general I know pilsner is lighter in color but what are the other big differences?

Bike N Brew said:
Biscuit malt might be a good sub for Amber as well, if you can get that.

Would you use 1.66lbs of biscuit or more like 4oz of biscuit and some crystal 40L?

I would not add crystal, although Yuri did in his 60 minute clone. I'd either do maris otter or biscuit malt for the amber malt. If you could swing it, I'd recommend the pilsner malt, not the 2 row. Although, if you're using the pilsner malt, you probably should have a protein rest. The pilsner malt would give you the lightest color and flavor and possibly more body but really no other benefits that I can think of. In the last 60 minute clone I did, I used all maris otter for the grain bill so I got a bit more flavor this time. Of course, I'm no expert on malts so take that for what it's worth.

Yooper Chick said:
I would not add crystal, although Yuri did in his 60 minute clone. I'd either do maris otter or biscuit malt for the amber malt. If you could swing it, I'd recommend the pilsner malt, not the 2 row. Although, if you're using the pilsner malt, you probably should have a protein rest. The pilsner malt would give you the lightest color and flavor and possibly more body but really no other benefits that I can think of. In the last 60 minute clone I did, I used all maris otter for the grain bill so I got a bit more flavor this time. Of course, I'm no expert on malts so take that for what it's worth.

So do you think 1.66 lbs of biscuit would be OK? I have never really seen a recipe with that much.

I was hoping to not have to do a protein rest, another reason I was looking to just use the 2-row. Maybe the 2-row with some cara pils? Or maybe I will suck it up and use the pilsner.

So, I just did the math, it is going to be very hard for me to fit the volume of wort I would get if I do a protein rest...I either need a bigger pot or a steam infusion system. So it is either the domestic 2-row or Maris Otter...never tried Maris Otter. Do you think this sounds good:16.5 MO and 1.66lb biscuit?

Sounds ok to me- but you've totally changed the original grain bill. That's fine, of course, if you want to do that. You are making a richer, more toasted malt base than in the original. I think it would be good- but it won't be a DFH 90 clone then. I haven't actually seen the recipe you're planning on using, since we started talking about a PM recipe first so these are just my impressions.

I think MO is a fantastic base malt and I like the toasted biscuity flavors of biscuit malt. But if your original called for pilsner malt, that is a difference both in color and flavor.

Edit- I'm moving this conversation to a new thread- we've totally stolen it!

Yooper Chick said:
Sounds ok to me- but you've totally changed the original grain bill. That's fine, of course, if you want to do that. You are making a richer, more toasted malt base than in the original. I think it would be good- but it won't be a DFH 90 clone then. I haven't actually seen the recipe you're planning on using, since we started talking about a PM recipe first so these are just my impressions.

I think MO is a fantastic base malt and I like the toasted biscuity flavors of biscuit malt. But if your original called for pilsner malt, that is a difference both in color and flavor.

Edit- I'm moving this conversation to a new thread- we've totally stolen it!

After thinking about it some more, I do want to make a clone and I am going to go with the pilsner malt. I just need to get my hands on some Amber malt now...

For the pilsner malt, do you have to do a protein rest? I know that fully modified malts do not but moderately modified malts benefit from one. Does pilsner malt automatically imply not fully modified? I think I read somewhere that some pilsner malts now are fully modified. I was listening to the Jamil Show on TBN and he was talking about making a Kolsch and said he using 90% pilsner malt (Durst) and does a single infusion leading me to believe that it does not need a protein rest.

Should I start a new thread on this topic as it really no longer pertains to the title?

I did start this new thread, so I think you're ok, unless you want to start a new topic asking about whether or not the pilsner malt is fully modified or not. I really have no idea!

Back