Will grapes make it taste harsh?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Calder

Reaction score
I'm about to move a couple of gallons onto some fruit. I have about half a pound of red grapes sitting doing nothing. If I tossed them in with the fruit, would it extract too much tannin from the skins.

I wouldn't want to wait 6 months to find out I had a disaster.

table grapes dont impart much flavor to fermented beverages thats why they arent used very often. Like you said though you might get some tannin from the skins but probably not much else. If it were me I would eat them, 1/2# of most likely flame seedless grapes in a beer would be like pissing in the ocean, you know you did it but no one else will

Any ideas on where to get some good useful grapes for brewing. Anywhere I really see wine grapes you have to buy tons(literally) and I don't see 2000 pounds of grapes going into 5 gallons of beer. I'm looking to toss some into some of my sours but haven't seen anything. I do realize I haven't been looking around harvesting season but when they do come out in smaller quantities I want to jump on them.

Grapes can do amazing things for funky beers. Last year I did a saison that I left in primary for 5 weeks, then transferred to secondary on 3 pounds of grapes, 3 pounds of peaches, and Brett L.

Did a 3.5 month secondary before kegging. Its an amazing beer, has gotten me two first place in category and one 3rd best in show. I got the grapes off of a vine growing on a neighbor's fence right down the street from me. They are intensely "grapey" grapes, smells like grape Koolaid every time you drive by in late summer. Have no idea what kind they are unfortunately.

Anyway, I blanched the peaches and grapes and took the skins off of everything before pitching it into the secondary. Had no desire to get any bitterness from the skins.

Any ideas on where to get some good useful grapes for brewing. Anywhere I really see wine grapes you have to buy tons(literally) and I don't see 2000 pounds of grapes going into 5 gallons of beer. I'm looking to toss some into some of my sours but haven't seen anything. I do realize I haven't been looking around harvesting season but when they do come out in smaller quantities I want to jump on them.

Several years back (~4) I started growing several varieties of wine grapes just for using them in sour beers. This year I will harvest my first crop, and its looking very nice so far. I know that doesnt help too much, but I know others who have done the same thing, might be something to do in the long run.

I do remember that midwest sells 5gal pails full of wine grapes fresh in harvest season. I think they also have frozen must pails as well. Problem is that 5gal of grapes is A LOT, and they arent very cheap.

Several years back (~4) I started growing several varieties of wine grapes just for using them in sour beers. This year I will harvest my first crop, and its looking very nice so far. I know that doesnt help too much, but I know others who have done the same thing, might be something to do in the long run.

I do remember that midwest sells 5gal pails full of wine grapes fresh in harvest season. I think they also have frozen must pails as well. Problem is that 5gal of grapes is A LOT, and they arent very cheap.

Yeah once I am out of my apartment (few years away) I will start growing hops, and likely will try my luck with some grapes as well... I really wanted to add grapes to some of my beers but it looks as though I will be grapeless for the time being.

Yeah once I am out of my apartment (few years away) I will start growing hops, and likely will try my luck with some grapes as well... I really wanted to add grapes to some of my beers but it looks as though I will be grapeless for the time being.

Alexanders has a line of grape concentrates that are pretty good, midwest sells them in cans. Ive used the barbera one before in a beer and it turned out quite good, only thing I missed when using them was the skins for their tannin

Alexanders has a line of grape concentrates that are pretty good, midwest sells them in cans. Ive used the barbera one before in a beer and it turned out quite good, only thing I missed when using them was the skins for their tannin

Does any other fruit have a skin that will mimic the tannins contributed by the grape skins? I have seen some places that occasionally sell grape skins maybe ill look into that along with some concentrate.

Thanks for the suggestion.

If you live in wine country, some farmers will let you go through after they have picked and glean the grapes still left on the vine.

If you live in wine country, some farmers will let you go through after they have picked and glean the grapes still left on the vine.

That must be nice! NYC might be as far away from wine country as possible :(

I will have to try to come across them somehow, or just use some good qulaity concentrate/juice and hope it adds the flavor I am looking for.

The finger lakes region has a fairly decent sized wine area. Though have always heard were better at whites. May not be too far depending on how much you want the grapes.

Also, have you ever tried or heard about the Oregon fruit purees? I was thinking maybe blueberry. After tasting the beer im looking at either grapes or blueberries with the blueberries being more accessible as I could also add some real blueberries to get the skin/seeds involved.

Does your local hbs carry fresh grapes during wine season? I know that outside of Philly keystone Homebrew will be getting in fresh grapes from Chile in a few weeks. They come in 18lb lugs. Once crushed that's gives you about a gallon of juice.

Back