Starter with washed yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewNow

Reaction score
I'll be washing my 3rd generation of WLP001 this week. The next batch I will pitch it into will be brewed within 1 week of the wash. Do I need to worry about a starter? In general, how many days or weeks after collection and washing do I need to worry about a starter?

I always make a starter period. Be it washed yeast or a new vial. It's just a good idea to make sure the yeast is viable and get it active.

I have used washed yeast on a few batches; never a starter, but always within 1 week of washing. Just check MrMalty for pitching rates.

Within a week you are fine... Unless you think you have abused/stressed the yeast then you should build it up. I always use a starter for my washed yeast if it is over a week old.

I always use a starter too - if your yeast isn't active, best to know it so you can get some to repitch with. Plus, it helps an earlier ferment start. So it is well worth it, even if you only make your starter 3 hours before you pitch it.

(EDIT):

I also do a starter for all liquid yeasts, new or washed.

Back