Bring to boil after grain steeping or not?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nedrierson78

Reaction score
After steeping my grains for 30 mins, should I bring the wert to a boil, remove from heat, and add malt extract? Or is it unnecessary to bring to boil before I add my extract?

Any advice would be helpful. Some recipes call for it done differently, and wanted to present it here to see what your opinions are.

Thank you.

Welcome to HBT.

I'm not sure it matters too much. I think the timing of hops additions and their boil time are probably more important. I do tend to add my malt extracts when it begins to boil so that it is boiling at the expected gravity the amount of time called for. And sometimes my stove takes a while to get to boil. May I ask why you are talking about removing from heat? Are you afraid of boil-over from adding dried malt extract. If not, there's no real reason to remove from heat.

I think the whole bringing the steeped wort to a boil thing is to get it sufficiently warm enough for all of the DME/LME to get dissolved into solution. Too cool and it could just sink to the bottom and risk scalding.

This is just my logic......I'm sure someone more experienced will chime in.

"Remove from heat" just meant that I turn off the burner to avoid scorching while I add my DME/LME.

If it doesn't matter, it seems easier to bring the wert to a boil and add the DME/LME when it begins to boil as I stir to avoid sticking to the bottom.

If you have a lighter beer, adding the extract later in the boil will prevent the beer from darkening as much. Last 10 or 15 mins is sufficient.

Back