Is my beer dead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgr9999

Reaction score
Hi all
I have brewed 40 pints of ale, fermentation is complete so I transferred it into the pressure barrel which is brand new. About a week later, i noticed that there was a huge crack in the cap of the barrel and therefore it had lost all pressure and now the beer is completely flat.

I spoke to the shop I bought the barrel from; they said that if I replace the cap and put some extra sugar in, it will be fine. They have now sent me a new cap.

However I am concerned that the beer may now be off as it has had the air get to it. The shop said it would be ok; but I guess they would as they don't want to have to give me a new lot of beer to brew!

Anyway, I just wondered what your opinions would be - is the beer still likely to be ok?

Many thanks and happy brewing!

Michael

All you can do is wait and see. More likely than not, you're just fine.

For those in the US, a pressure barrel is basically a plastic keg without a CO2 system. They're used more on the other side of the pond from what I understand.

Back