Belgian Golden not so Golden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

moritz

Reaction score
I recently brewed Austin Homebrew's Devil's Brew Belgian (the extract kit). The recipe states it is a golden ale.

Well, mine is considerably darker than a golden. Still tastes quite good, but the wrong color.

Anyone have an idea why?

Can you tell us the recipe and the process you used?

Odds are you did a partial boil--- that tends to carmelize more of the extract, making the beer darker.

well im going to go with the extract. did you put it in for the whole 60 minute boil? You can keep your beers lighter when using extracts by doing a late addition. add the extract with about 15 minutes left in the boil. less caramelization, and the beer will stay a lighter color

I followed the instructions to the letter. Added the extract after the boil had started, only partial boil (about 3 gallons) for 60 minutes.

I do partial boils because I only have an electric stove, no gas. I've thought of using a portable propane burner outside, maybe I should consider that more seriously.

I guess that I'd have to break down and purchase a wort chiller then. The old ice and rock salt bath in sink won't cool it down nearly fast enough.

The thing is: did it TASTE good? If all that's 'wrong' is the color then why invest in more gear--- unless that was something you were considering anyway.

Here's what I did with my first batch (made from a Muntons extract wheat beer kit)...be it right or wrong the beer tastes good.

I bought a 5 gallon bottle of water and poured 2.5 gallons into my brew pot and added heat. Once it started boiling I put in 3.5 pounds of light DME and boiled it for about 45 minutes. While that was going on, I put the can of extract into the water bottle with the room temp water and shook it up real good to get it all dissolved. When I took the brew pot off the stove I poured it into the water bottle and topped it off to 5 gallons. After the bottle was cool to the touch I pitched the yeast after rehydrating them and shook it up again. I had explosive fermentation within 5 hours. I don't have a hydrometer so I couldn't measure the SG, but since bottling I've drank a few and I think they have a decent % ABV and taste pretty good. Once they're properly carbonated I'm going to drink a few and see how many it takes to get buzzed.

Sorry I got off topic, but doing it that way made for a very golden beer. They've been in bottles for about 5 days now and look great.

kornkob,

D*&!#% Good! Very close to Duvel. 8.98% alcohol. I'm thinking about slowly getting into all-grain, so a little equipment here, a little there.

I was hoping to fool some of those who won't drink a big ol' scary dark beer (It's actually amber now) into tasting this.

david,

Yes.

Back