HERMS coil: What wall thickness for stainless tubing? 0.035" ok?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kal

Reaction score
Looking at buying 50' of this for my stainless HERMS coil.

Would this work?:

304 Stainless Steel Coil Tube .1/2" OD x 50' (.035" W)

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=230325461979

It comes in a 32"x32"x5" box so I'd have to recoil it to fit in the HLT.

For those of you that have stainless HERMS coils: Is 0.035" a good wall thickness to use? Will I be able to recoil it around a corney or something similar?

Is the fact that it's "welded tube" an issue? I'm assuming not and that it means that a welded seam is visible on the inside. (Like a lot of my other stainless parts [nipples, elbows, etc.] I've ordered so far)

Kal

I hope you got it Kal and that is why its gone... :(

You will be able to recoil it, but it is difficult and does not hold its form like copper. You will not be able to wrap it around a corny without heat and some better tools than I have. I was able to make my coil small enough to fit in a keggle by forcing it around my 6 gallon pot that has a 12 inch diamter.

Good luck

Strange that the link doesn't work. Here it is again:

304 Stainless Steel Coil Tube .1/2" OD x 50' (.035" W) - eBay (item 230325461979 end time Mar-15-09 08:57:48 PDT)

It's a power seller with unlimited stock. $85 for 50'. (I wouldn't have listed it here if it was a one-off) :)

Been watching ebay for a few months now for 50 foot stainless coil with 1/2" OD and there's never been any 'deals'. This is still cheaper than buying a premade 50' stainless IC ($99 from MidwestSupplies) and cutting off the ends.

Justin: Corney's too small - you're right. It's for the HERMS coil in my 20 gal Blichmann HLT so I'll probably coil it in a 12-14" diameter. You mentioned not having problems coiling the 50' of 1/2" OD stainless that you bought. Was it also 0.035" wall thickness?

Kal

Well I've gone ahead and ordered the 50' of stainless tubing. Hopefully it'll be ok. I'll post back once I get it.

Kal

I don't know the wall thickness of my coil...sorry

For future reference McMaster-Carr Part Number: 8989K98 $70.33 USD... sorry. I didn't know how much the Ebay one was for because I couldn't see it. Maybe yours is 316 and more awesomer!! :D

Nope, it's 304 coil.

Strange that the ebay links aren't working. It's item #230325461979 (you can search on that).

$70 from McMaster? CRAP! I paid $85 though my wall is 0.035" thick instead of 0.02" like the McMaster stuff. Thinner wall would be easier to bend though. Oh well.

Could have bought 316 from McMaster for $78. Blah.

Kal

Back