Newcastle Clone - First Batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hayabusa

Reaction score
I made a newcastle clone and am fermenting it in a stainless conical (xmas gift) - I dropped some trub on the 5th day and took a reading, the gravity was right where the receipe said the FG should be, on the 8th day took another reading and the gravity hasn't changed.

My question is that it's only been 8-days; should I transfer it to the keg or does it need to condition longer in the fermenter? I have no idea when I should take it out of the fermenter and keg it, and once I keg it how long does it need to sit since I am not depending on the yeast to produce CO2? I took a little taste and it seemed "watery" to me. total volume is about 5 gal.

Thanks!

Your beer is done fermenting, but it may not be done maturing. Yeast will continue to break down higher alcohols and eliminate off-flavors even after the end of fermentation.

Personally, I ferment for ~21 days before doing anything to ales, and after that I usually go straight to keg. If you are conditioning in the keg, you'll need to provide some priming sugar to produce more CO2, then wait 21 days at 70F or so for complete priming.

If you are force-carbonating, you can hook up to gas at temperature and pressure and carbonate in a week. You can even carbonate within a few hours if you really want to.

Here's a link to the wiki entry on kegging, which is a good jumping off place for info on carbonating. Kegging - Home Brewing Wiki

Let me just add this: A conical for your first batch? Wow. Nice present.

Your beer is done fermenting, but it may not be done maturing. Yeast will continue to break down higher alcohols and eliminate off-flavors even after the end of fermentation.

Personally, I ferment for ~21 days before doing anything to ales, and after that I usually go straight to keg. If you are conditioning in the keg, you'll need to provide some priming sugar to produce more CO2, then wait 21 days at 70F or so for complete priming.

If you are force-carbonating, you can hook up to gas at temperature and pressure and carbonate in a week. You can even carbonate within a few hours if you really want to.

Here's a link to the wiki entry on kegging, which is a good jumping off place for info on carbonating. Kegging - Home Brewing Wiki

Let me just add this: A conical for your first batch? Wow. Nice present.

She thought it would make a good christmas gift - might be the first time in 10 years she listened to me, and i only mentioned homebrewing once or twice and looked at conicals in a store one day.

Thanks for the info - I will wait 21 days or so and toss it in the keg; I will be force carbonating... is that why my beer tasted "watery" - the yeast is still breaking down the alcohols? I thought at first I just had to much water but my og and fg are spot on.

Beer that's not properly carbonated often tastes flat and watery to me. I bet that given some extra time and a proper carbonation, and you'll be very proud of yourself.

Back