Game of Thrones Mead

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
In honor of the Red Wedding I started a batch with 6# of wildflower/meadow foam honey (for Queen Jane), 2 tbls of mugwort (for the Frays), and 1 ounce of poppy seeds, because I didn't have access to harvest any milk of the poppy.

:tank:

I am going to have to dig in and pull a LARGE sample of this for tonight's final episode. Anyone else in?

Well, here it is, a 12 oz SAMPLE of my Calisi Capsumel mead for the opening of season 4, pulled today for tonight's season 3 ending, is this CHEATING? Honey, Dates, Peppers....

gotmead.jpg

Hey guys,

In another thread, some members expressed an interest in brewing mead inspired by Game of Thrones. Since Season 3 is premiering at the end of the month, there's plenty of time to brew before Season 4 starts.

Someone suggested starting a dedicated thread so that we can all post pictures/recipes of our GOT-inspired meads. Well, here it is!

So, a mead that kills most people who drink it? :p

That capsumel is a lovely colour! I feel the need to point out though, that Daenery's title is spelled "Khaleesi" :)

Wouldn't it be s's... and if she weren't a proper noun s'. So you you're both wrong. But this is homebrew talk not grammar snob talk.

My perry pyment has managed to find its way into the darkest reaches of my home-brew closet. Barely in sight. This is good news for aging potential!

And perhaps I should point out that "Daenerys" has no apostrophe. ;)

Daenerys' title (as possessive) would be correct. But hell, I only make delicious home brew and unique meads, and try not to get too hung up on the small stuff.

:mug:

Quote form Wiki Answers on apostaphes and what have you.

"s' shows OWNERSHIP to PLURAL NOUNS ENDING IN "S" ONLY. NEVER to names ending in "s," as names are NOT plural."
So the proper ownership for her would be Daenerys's. Looks weird, but this is English AND High Fantasy

But TheWeeb has the right of it. Let's talk brew.

Here's my Mead based on the famous "Red Wedding" scene!

BETRAYAL: A Stark Raving Cherry Mead
4 gallon recipe:
12.5 lbs of wildflower honey
1 - 96oz of Vinters Harvest Cherry
1-250 ml tart cherry juice concentrate
1tsp of tannin
1.5 tsp of nutrient
EC-1118
SG. 1.112

Will step feed with around ~10 cans of frozen fruit concentrate
to get the gravity up

Secondary with around 10lbs of cherries!

I'm planning on step feeding this mead as well. I'd like the mead to reach 18% and also
have a touch of residual sweetness. Ran out of honey so I'm going to pick a fruit that
will blend well with cherry and add frozen concentrate. Thinking apple or grape so far.
Going to then secondary on a ton of cherries enough to bring the level of liquid to 5 gallons.

Multiple meanings to the name which I love!!

I'll post a pick when I rack to the cherries!

From your Wikipedia and other sources:

"Classical, biblical, and similar names ending in a sibilant, especially if they are polysyllabic, do not take an added s in the possessive; among sources giving exceptions of this kind are The Times[22] and The Elements of Style, which make general stipulations, and Vanderbilt University,[23] which mentions only Moses and Jesus."

Certainly the GOT stories use old English (classical) and "Daenerys" is polysyllabic, making it an exception to the 's rule.

But that is not why I joined this forum.
(Never start a sentence with "But" - - next?)

I was thinking of:

The Lightning Lord's Mead:
:rockin:

3 gallon recipe
9lbs Orange Blossom Honey
Zest from 1 lime
2 lbs raspberries
2 lbs blackberries
A little time on some light American oak

I'll use D47 or 71B probably.

The berries because his name is Beric! :D

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Huesmann - You can order it from Midwest supplies I believe: http://www.midwestsupplies.com/winemaking-ingredients/canned-concentrates.html
I'm not in the states so I had to look around. But I think a lot of ppl on this forum use Midwest. The cherry one I received was pretty good but not as sweet as I thought it would be. The flavor was more mild too. I'm thinking its because it was Cherry though and they're pretty mild to begin with. It definitely made the must nice and dark though.

Yeah, thanks. I was wondering if you had a cheaper source, though. :) Shipping on that sort of thing kills.

When you rack to secondary and finish, can you let us know how much of the red is maintained? I bought a can of VH raspberry juice to do something similar, and wondering if it'll work.

Bottled my Kah - lisi Capsumel tonight, decided to add some honey and bottle condition for a light carbonation. I filled 13 one-liter bottles, but also bottled six 12-ounce cappers to trade.

If anyone would like to try this combination of honey, dates, and peppers send me a PM with your info and we can trade.. in a few months of course! I have six to share!

Yeah, thanks. I was wondering if you had a cheaper source, though. :) Shipping on that sort of thing kills.

When you rack to secondary and finish, can you let us know how much of the red is maintained? I bought a can of VH raspberry juice to do something similar, and wondering if it'll work.

If you're anywhere near Columbia, Maryland Homebrew has fruit purees.
Here's a link to the raspberry.
http://stores.mdhb.com/-strse-1022/RASPBERRY-PUREE-for-home/Detail.bok

I'm working on getting the alcohol up to 18% in my Stark Raving Cherry Mead. I step fed and should be able to reach 17.85% alcohol if it finishes off dry. Yesterday it was at about 1.05. Going to then transfer to a larger carboy add a little apple juice to sweeten and rack onto 8-10lbs of tart montmorency cherries sourced from the Niagara region!! cherries should be ready in a few weeks)

My first GOT mead - "Khaleesi's Nector" a straight semi sweet wildflower mead is just aging in the carboy right now. I added some clearing agent to it about 2 weeks ago..but this one looks like it's going to take awhile to clear. In a few weeks if it's still no where close to clearing I might give it an ice bath (no fridge space) to see if I can clear it. Besides aging long term...has anyone else had success clearing a foggy mead?

Thanks E

"Betrayal: A Stark Raving Cherry Mead!!" It's supposed to be crazy stark raving mad mead! 1) for how big the alcohol and cherry aspect will be and 2) for the crazy betrayal that happened to the starks. Why what am I missing?? Is my grammar wrong?? haha

My most recent traditional had an unstoppable ferment, even after being racked and sulfited more than once in a single week. So because this yeast has ruined all of my plans and hopes and wont "die" no matter how much I want it to, I am naming this batch: Joffrey.

"Betrayal: A Stark Raving Cherry Mead!!" It's supposed to be crazy stark raving mad mead! 1) for how big the alcohol and cherry aspect will be and 2) for the crazy betrayal that happened to the starks. Why what am I missing?? Is my grammar wrong?? haha
Nothing at all. Stark Raven would just be just an additional play on words, because of the ravens Westerosi use to communicate, and Bran Stark's 3-eyed raven.

OK you've got me there. I still think it's an interesting play on words because the Starks did communicate via raven too, just like everyone else. In fact, perhaps I'll make my own Stark Raven Mad mead. :p

There's already a lot of replies here, too many to read, so I'll just hope nobody has mentioned this idea yet.

For the Lannister mead: Dandylion Roar: a dandylion mead with red currants. The dandylions and currants for the gold and crimson of the Lannisters, with added fun of having "lions" in the mead. I'd go with currants instead of cherries because the Lannisters are known for their excessive displays of wealth, and lets face it, red currants are hard to come by (I may even throw in a sprig of saffron just for good measure). And the name "dandylion roar" is a play off the Lannister words: hear me roar.

Notice the bloody color! These bubbles are creeping me out...they've been going on for days!

P1010817.jpg

Do u think I didn't get all the sanitizer out? Is that what u mean? Maybe I should rerack or something...hopefully it stops soon. the yeast has just been wild with this batch...the whole carboy is alive

Back