Dallas / Fort Worth Grain Buy #4

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is going on with this group buy? I'm interested.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

mbowen024 has been permanently banned for violating the site's terms of use with regard to advertising and sales. I haven't followed this group buy very closely, but it appears that his absence may throw a wrench into things.

mbowen024 has been permanently banned for violating the site's terms of use with regard to advertising and sales. I haven't followed this group buy very closely, but it appears that his absence may throw a wrench into things.

Actually what he was doing was allowing us to still have a group buy. At it stands the LBHS decided to go complain to our malt distributor. Because of this the only way the distributor would sell to us would be to go though one of the LHBS. Of them most simply refused and the one that did allow it wanted to mark up the grain 300%.

I understand the rule about commercial companies advertising. This was not the case. It was about 2 people who attempted to still facilitate the grain buy without having to resort to our LHBS.

Why was he complaining? Were his prices higher than the buy? Or do they think the 5-10 people in a small group buy, buy all of the grain in DFW. Stupid.

Why was he complaining? Were his prices higher than the buy? Or do they think the 5-10 people in a small group buy, buy all of the grain in DFW. Stupid.

Here, read it yourself

http://countrymaltgroup.com/homebrewers.asp

And yes whereas the local homebrew shop, under the "discount" will charge me $80 for a 50 lb sack of Great Western 2-row. Via the bulk buy that same sack is $26.50. That is not an exactly fair comparison as we also get changed part of the pallet fee and a handling fee. So the actual price of it in the end is $35.40. Still more the LHBS price is more double what it costs at the bulk buy.

I personally go though 300-400 lbs of grain each buy. Yes I make a few gallons of beer. So this saves me about $300 each time I buy grain. And I will not even go into how much the LHBS marks up yeast and hops.

I am assuming he was banned for his post in the for sale section, and not this group buy. I don't mind him making a small percent for having to deal with unloading all the grain and setting up times to deal with everyone for pickups. I was quite happy to see a group buy in the dfw area since I recently acquired a mill.

I received a PM from a member saying that the whole thing was canceled. Hopefully another group buy gets up and going sometime soon.

Any DFW people still interested in getting some bulk grain? I may have a lead on some if I can get this guys mind out of the clouds on how much bulk grain should cost. Post up if you are interested and update as I know more

Still working this... Guy is thinking he is going to get $1 a pound or so. Told.him you can buy it cheaper online w/ shipping

Back